Options

Scsi san? Lol

loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
My manager wanted me to try resurrect a few scsi san's from about 10 years ago to use as disaster recovery. Not to mention the 2TB limit how bad is this idea? We don't even have any servers that have scsi cards let alone our data is a great deal larger than 2tb.

Anyone even still use this old scsi san still??

The SAN fyi is a promise vtrak m500p.

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Ouch. I used some old HP Storageworks SCSI unit in my previous job, but not for long. Counter his idea with this: Iomega Zip Drive 100 MB NIB New in Box External Vintage Computer Equipment | eBay
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice! :)

Honestly, if it's a cost thing, I'd recommend some kind of a NAS, because troubleshooting a 10 year old storage array, can be more expensive :)
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Ouch. I used some old HP Storageworks SCSI unit in my previous job, but not for long. Counter his idea with this: Iomega Zip Drive 100 MB NIB New in Box External Vintage Computer Equipment | eBay

Haha I remember those.. I used to play Quake off one of those guys.
  • Options
    TheProf wrote: »
    Nice! :)

Honestly, if it's a cost thing, I'd recommend some kind of a NAS, because troubleshooting a 10 year old storage array, can be more expensive :)

Yea I spent like 8 hours just trying to revive the thing then thought what's the point?
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Yea I spent like 8 hours just trying to revive the thing then thought what's the point?

Now just translate the 8 hours into cost and convince your boss to purchase a NAS icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LOL. I was just going through some cabinets the other day and found a bunch of old server scsi gear. I thought about keeping it, but what would I do with it. I ended up tossing it. It is funny to see someone seriously consider using that stuff.