Options

Exchange Server setup help required!!

deathinmyveindeathinmyvein Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello friends,

I need a help for a lab scenario. It's a very basic stuff but so am I at a very basic level.

Need to setup a mailbox server with a given domain name.(it should look like www.abc.xyz.com)

All clients should get the IP from a DHCP Server as well

I tried installing the server. I created a domain on the same server and also installed DHCP service and exchange server.
In the AD, I created a forest xyz.com and made two users in it.

When I try to setup the mailbox, the Mailbox database is not coming.
I try to browse and locate the mailbox database and it's empty. Did not understand where to do this.

And also I was planning to give an alias in DNS records so that in IE, the address will appear as www.abc.xyz.com.

But the main aim is to setup the same scenario with two servers and multiple clients.

The first server will have the domain xyz.com
second server will become the child domain of the above as abc.xyz.com
Exchange server to be set up in this second server.
Can someone throw some light on how to get these implemented and where I might have gone wrong?

Thanks and regards

Comments

• Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you have fallen for a common mistake. The Active Directory domain and your Email domain have no bearing. The Exchange server can be on an AD domain of xyz.com and server emails for abc.xyz.com mickymouse.com or whateveryouwant.com. In best practice the AD domain would be a TLD like .local rather than com, that does not exist on the internet. The AD domain is only for the computers to communicate with each other.
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    Where are you trying to create the mailbox from? You have to use exchange management console.
  • Options
    deathinmyveindeathinmyvein Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi,
    thanks.
    yes, I got it now.
    An hour in the lab clarified things.
    :)

and yes I did install the exchange server.

Thanks again.:)