Options

What's the next logical step?

bckcbckc Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I'm a first line engineer wanting a 2nd line job, so far I've passed the following exams: CCNA Fundamentals, Microsoft 70-680 & 70-685. I've got the CompTia Network+ exam later this month which I will pass. After that what's the next logical step? I don't want to sit A+. Maybe Security+? Or more microsoft exams?

What would help me progress?

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think it depends on where you want to go.

Administration - More M$ certs
    Networking - More Cisco, maybe Juniper
    Security - Sec+, etc.
    Virtualization - VMWare, M$, etc.
  • Options
    bckcbckc Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I think it depends on where you want to go.

Administration - More M$ certs
    Networking - More Cisco, maybe Juniper
    Security - Sec+, etc.
    Virtualization - VMWare, M$, etc.

I'm wanting to go into network and network security in the long run, I might sit Security + next and then maybe a Juniper exam but then what in terms of security should I go for?

Also do you think that the qualififications I currently have are enough to start applying for a 2nd line engineer job?
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you have CCNA, why go back to Net+? It's like moving backwards! :) I'd recommend Security+ and CCNA Security if you want to get into the network engineering side of security, with a goal of attaining CCNP Security eventually.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    bckc wrote: »
    I'm wanting to go into network and network security in the long run, I might sit Security + next and then maybe a Juniper exam but then what in terms of security should I go for?

Also do you think that the qualififications I currently have are enough to start applying for a 2nd line engineer job?

To your question about applying tier 2.. yes you could have with just the 680.. The MCITP for 680-685 definitely puts you well into the capabilities range "cert wise" for tier 2.

If you want to go Security.. get the Security+, then follow up with the CCNA Security. If you want to do some extra in the desktop arena learning Active Directory and possibly pursuing the 70-640 would be the best bet for that.

From CCNA Security its up to you to determine if you want to go more down a InfoSec path or Networking for your next step up.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have CCNA, why go back to Net+? It's like moving backwards! :) I'd recommend Security+ and CCNA Security if you want to get into the network engineering side of security, with a goal of attaining CCNP Security eventually.

And it's freaking expensive as heck... i would avoid getting that Net+ if you have CCNA.... getting the NET+ would definitely be going a step back.. if you are not sitting for A+ and just trying to accomplish a comptia "Trio" for the heck of it.. there is no point.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you don't mind me asking, what is CCNA Fundamentals? Is that the first of a four class Cisco Academy class that you've passed? If so, I'd skip Net+ and knock out the rest of the classes and get CCNA certified. Then, I'd grab Security+ (more for getting passed the HR drones), then CCNA Security. You could also sit for the CompTIA CASP, be warned, it isn't well recognized but doesn't have stringent criteria like the CISSP does. So there is a trade off with that one.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me