Options

WGU question

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have a friend that's going back to school. He was interested in going back for IT. I had told him that WGU was a good place to go if he wanted to do online. Though, he said that on their website that you're required to have experience in the field before you can take their classes? Has anyone ran into this?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They usually have 3 different entrance requirements and you need to meet 2 of them. Those are work experience, IT certs, college credit.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As CarlSaiyed said, you must meet two out of the three requirements. If he is going back to school, and the previous school was regionally accredited, he will need either work experience or a cert. The easiest route might be to take A+ or one of the MTA/CIW certs. If he chooses to go that route, I would suggest he register here, get whatever assistance we can provide, get certed up, then get referred through the referral thread.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Are you guys sure you need 2/3 of those requirements? I started back in August with an Assoc Degree, no certs, and no IT work exp.

I have read that many students just get an A+ cert or something similar to this as mentioned above to meet the requirement(s).
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    I only see 2 requirements: A High School diploma & demonstrated IT experience.

There are then 4 options for demonstrating IT experience: Associate's degree in IT/equivalent, high level IT coursework (within 5 yrs), IT certifications (within 5 yrs), or 3+ yrs of IT experience shown on resume.

Online Admissions | College of Information Technology | Western Governors University Online
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I got in with no experience, no prior college, and a single cert which I got to meet their requirements. Definitely don't need 2/3 to get in.
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    I think the admission requirements change from to time to time. Best thing, if you're friend is interested is to contact an Admission's counselor for up-to-date information on the topic.
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    Just warn him the Enrollment Counselors are NOT representative of the school. I hate every time I have talk to mine.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree about the admissions counselors. I emailed mine and he said to call him. I left a message but never got a call back. Emailed him, told to call. Called, left message. Emailed him...you get the picture. So, I called the school and someone in the IT department put me on my admissions counselor's calendar...should get a call on Monday.

As for the admissions requirements, I stand corrected. For whatever reason, I read it wrong. Probably should slow down a bit, drink less coffee/Mt Dew, and read more carefully!

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    DaaxDaax Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    when i applied they told me i needed my A+ since i didn't have enough experience. but after the A+ i'm good to go to sign up. just gotta get the funds now.

~Daax~
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    It's cheaper to go with the CIW Web Foundations. You can get A+ on their dime once you get admitted :)
  • Options
    mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    It's cheaper to go with the CIW Web Foundations. You can get A+ on their dime once you get admitted :)

This one is required for all the IT degrees (at least BSIT and BSIT Security): CIW | Web Foundations Associates Are Skilled with Internet Technology

Exam is only $150 and tests you on basic web knowledge that most of you should already be aware of (I only reviewed the material for one day then took the exam...its easy). CIW | Exam Procedures, Test-Taking Guidelines and Fees

A+ exam has two parts: 188 x 2 = $376