Options

SSH on WS-C3550-48-SMI

sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
Seems WS-C3550-48-SMI is one of the affordable IOS switch available.

Does it have SSH capability?

If not, does Cisco give out free IOS updates that have crypto in them?

Anyone tried the switch?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MoabMoab Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes the 3550 supports SSH, it is dependent on the IOS. Cisco doesn't give out free IOS updates, you need to have a contract with Cisco
  • Options
    Moab wrote: »
    Yes the 3550 supports SSH, it is dependent on the IOS. Cisco doesn't give out free IOS updates, you need to have a contract with Cisco

The product went E-O-sale , life and seems cisco website gives out for free.

Is it with k9?

Thanks.
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Yep, you need one that supports crypto.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sendalot wrote: »
    The product went E-O-sale , life and seems cisco website gives out for free.

Actually, Cisco does offer IOS for free on Switches. They (Cisco Switches) also appear to carry a lifetime warranty even if you don't opt for Technet (applies only to the original owner - the warranty is immediately voided if the switch is sold) Technet simply offers faster replacement and better tech support. For anything else (Routers, Phones, etc...) you need Technet to access any software updates (IOS, Phone Loads, ASA OS, ASDM, etc...) or to get warranty protection past 90 days.

There is a notable exception I've noticed to the free IOS for switches - The EMI IOS (IP Services) for the 3560 and 3750 series Layer 3 Switches. Strangely, I was able to download the EMI Image for the 3550. The best IOS for the 3550 is if I remember correctly:

c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin

This is the newest? EMI IOS with Crypto for the 3550.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    theodoxa wrote: »
    Actually, Cisco does offer IOS for free on Switches. They (Cisco Switches) also appear to carry a lifetime warranty even if you don't opt for Technet (applies only to the original owner - the warranty is immediately voided if the switch is sold) Technet simply offers faster replacement and better tech support. For anything else (Routers, Phones, etc...) you need Technet to access any software updates (IOS, Phone Loads, ASA OS, ASDM, etc...) or to get warranty protection past 90 days.

There is a notable exception I've noticed to the free IOS for switches - The EMI IOS (IP Services) for the 3560 and 3750 series Layer 3 Switches. Strangely, I was able to download the EMI Image for the 3550. The best IOS for the 3550 is if I remember correctly:

c3550-ipservicesk9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin

This is the newest? EMI IOS with Crypto for the 3550.

There's also "c3550-ipbasek9-mz.122-44.SE6.bin"
    What's that?
    Thanks.