Options

Home NAS

BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
Hi All!

I am planning on getting a NAS for my birthday in a couple of months and am not to sure what to go for.

QNAP TS-220 2-Bay Turbo NAS [TS-220] - $259.00 : PC Case Gear

Synology DS213J 2 Bay NAS Server [DS213J] - $209.00 : PC Case Gear

They are the two options I am thinking and just putting 2 x 4tb drives in raid 1. That should be enough storage to keep me happy for a few years.

I plan to use it for storing and streaming all of my movies/TV shows/music to my TV and devices.

I also want to use it to backup all the devices on my home network.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Flip a coin really. Both are great.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    HP Microserver + disks might give you more value for money. But I agree , both are great.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    TylerBarrettTylerBarrett Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've used the QNAP before. Awesome device for the price with a nice GUI. I'd buy one.
  • Options
    CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Currently have a HP Microserver N54L running the Synology OS (DSM - Xpenology), works great. Was wondering if there's a version of the QNAP OS / interface that would run on it? Would be nice to compare.

As for the Synology interface, I have no complaints with it so far.
    2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    I setup my own using asus mATX board , low power usage dual core celeron and 8 gigs of ram (overkill I know). Boots into unRAID (linux distro made for NAS) off usb and sata drives are used for data and parity.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I own a QNAP and love it
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It depends on what you want...

1) If you are looking for packaged solution....QNAP and Synology should both treat you well.
    2) If you are looking for something a bit more versatile...I would do a DIY NAS.

For example.... My NAS
    -older dual core 3.0ghz intel
    -4gb ram
    -msi mobo that has 8 sata ports
    -4 gigabit NICs
    -FreeNAS 9.x
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I DIY'ed and highly recommend it.

Mine's a powerful piece of kit though, I wanted to run VM's on it reliably...

Intel i5 Haswell CPU 4570S
    16GB RAM
    4 x 2TB disks attached to HP SmartArray card
    4 NICs

It's overkill for sure, but I'm never short of power. Idles at 60W too :)
  • Options
    Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DIY FreeNAS FTW. I'm learning so much about FreeBSD and ZFS in the process.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a 1TB drive duct taped to a Raspberry Pi. :) not the most powerful NAS, but can stream to multiply clients at once, and can run any service I want like media server and Torrent client.

Just need to get a Raid Array for it for redundency.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    Just need to get a Raid Array for it for redundency.

Connect two and use LVMs .. or

RAID Pi – Raspberry Pi as a RAID file server

:)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I just mirrored a couple of 2 TB drives in my Windows 8 box that I host files and video on at home.
  • Options
    networkjutsunetworkjutsu Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Never used QNAP so I can't comment on that but I do love my Synology DS1812+. I've had it for over a year now and it's been great so far. Started with DIY NAS using Openfiler but at the time I couldn't figure out why my computer was rebooting by itself. When I turned that PC to be my main desktop I finally found the problem. Turned out I OC'd the RAM and it was causing instability.