Options

Splunk - I love it!

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
How many others love using Splunk? Custom queries and Splunk Alerts is what I use it for mostly.

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Used at my old job, and have a free license that I use at home from time to time.

Do you have forwarders etc?
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I want some of this Splunk action. Is it just some awesome log file tool that can make sense out of logs from a million systems and sources?
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I setup rsyslog and loganalyzer recently, good stuff. Never tried splunk, how far does the free license get you?
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    In the middle of a POC with Splunk and love it so far. Super powerful, but stays out of your way much better then the other SIEM's I have used. Plenty of really good documentation out there as well, which is also a change.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Powerful indeed and the apps (some of them you have to pay for) are great. You can pretty much "eat" anything that logs to a text file.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looked at Splunk but decided that it did not quite do what we needed with out a bit of work, I am not the monitor guy so wiped my hands of it. Very powerful, and used it at home a bit, but the monitor guy is going "trustwave" which is aimed more at security and deal with more stuff out of the box.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One of our vendors uses it and from what I saw it seemed pretty good.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've used it for call reporting in a Cisco CM environment with some 3rd party add-ons - they we're pretty cheap compared to the alternatives.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Cert Poor wrote: »
    I want some of this Splunk action. Is it just some awesome log file tool that can make sense out of logs from a million systems and sources?

More or less - throw data at it and you will be able to quickly search and analyze it. It is really fairly simple especially given how powerful it is.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    I setup rsyslog and loganalyzer recently, good stuff. Never tried splunk, how far does the free license get you?

This is where they get ya - 500 MB/day of indexing. If you can stay below that limit you are golden, if you go over, get your checkbook out.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Can you use it as a replacement for Nagios?

is it better at alerting?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Can you use it as a replacement for Nagios?

is it better at alerting?

No. At the core of it, Nagios does proactive checks and Splunk parses logs. You can attach actions to alerts in Splunk to do notifications but it is not an infrastructure monitoring solution like Nagios is.
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    If you're looking for a free alternative to splunk check out Logstash with Elasticsearch.

Elasticsearch.org Logstash | Overview | Elasticsearch