Options

Scheduled my 200-120 exam

devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just wanted to say that I scheduled my CCNA composite exam for April 7th. I'm feeling pretty good on the ICND1 material, and getting ready to dig into the ICND2 stuff. I already took all the CCNA classes through my school, so right now I'm just going over weak points and doing basic review.

Anybody else getting ready for Cisco exams? I was planning on just doing the CCNA in two parts, but I've heard that the new ICND1 is basically front-loaded, so you may as well go for the composite.

Anyway, here's hoping I pass so work can reimburse me the $295 fee. icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    maharalielmaharaliel Member Posts: 119
    I wish success.
  • Options
    Elijah09Elijah09 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Scheduled my icnd1 for end of next month! April 25th
  • Options
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    April 25th

I was only planning on doing the ICND1 as well, but when I went to schedule my exam, April 7th was the first available date to test, so I went ahead and registered for the whole thing. I've already been through all the CCNA topics for school, so now I just need to go back and refresh my knowledge on those areas, especially WAN topics. Good luck to you as well.
  • Options
    tasman35tasman35 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    PCHoldmannPCHoldmann Member Posts: 450
    Good luck!
    There's no place like ^$
    Visit me at Route, Switch, Blog
  • Options
    Well, I failed with a 725. I have to say, I'm not very happy with the structure of the questions on the test. Lots of book knowledge and very, very little actual troubleshooting/configuration, which is what I spent most of my time studying.

Looks like I'll be scheduling the CCENT to take in a week or so.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm sorry to hear that icon_sad.gif I failed mine when I took it. Only got a 785. It sucks don't get me wrong. $295 is a lot of money. But take a break for a while. Look over your exam result page and focus on your weak areas to pass it again. Do you have a small lab at all?
  • Options
    Yeah, I have a pair of 2620XMs and a pair of 2950s in addition to a little GNS3 setup that I built while following along with Jeremy Cioara's CBTNuggets labs. I'm comfortable at the CLI, but it was the really specific textbook questions that I think killed me.

Also a question that involved using a command that was not present. I double-checked and triple-checked, and then I checked again once I got home to make sure I wasn't going crazy, and it was definitely supposed to be in the place I was looking.

Had another question where I wasted about 25 minutes trying to figure out why my pings didn't work after making what I thought was a very simple change. Come to find out it was only because their little "simlets" don't update very quickly, especially when running on old Dell GX620s. icon_sad.gif I pinged it again after digging around for a while, and it had been working the whole time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did you tell the test proctor that it was encountering problems? I have seen it in the past where due to an error on their end, the test vendor will send you an email saying you passed. It hasn't happened to me, but I have heard of it happening.
  • Options
    I didn't say anything to the proctor; honestly, I still had plenty of time to finish, but I'm a fast test-taker (always have been). And I'm sure the question that was "missing" the command was either my brain misfiring or they wanted me to configure it some other way that I couldn't think of.

Either way, I'm taking the CCENT in exactly one week, and now I have a better idea of how to prepare.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What was missing? Probably brain freeze, happened to me on CCENT when I forgot to enter privileged mode, I still got 970+
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    Well, for me, I could NOT find "(config)# access-list". Maybe I looked at it and my brain just didn't register, but I swear it wasn't there. Hard to make an access-list without "access-list".
  • Options
    late_collisionlate_collision Member Posts: 146
    This can really trip you up sometimes. Did " ip access-list" work?

Sometimes the exam will try to steer you in a certain direction. Other times, the exam wants you to meet the requirements of the question using a different method, or you don't completely understand what the question is asking. Either way, know that this is not uncommon on the Cisco exams, so if there is more than one way to skin a cat, you should probably know them all.
  • Options
    "ip access-list" was present but disabled. I figured they were trying to do like you said and steer me in a certain direction, but overall, I don't think I was as prepared as I could have been.

Doing ICND1 and ICND2 separately should help me out. We'll see how I do next Wednesday.
  • Options
    alacorialacori Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello guys, have been studying for the ICND1 for some time now but am really struggling with the subnetting part. can anyone suggest a better training material that will help me understand and get to take my exam soon? also is it possible to pass the exam without practising with lab equipment at home. the training material i have is just a video and i realize a lot is not shown in there..please help. Thanks a lot
  • Options
    ^^You might want to start by creating your own thread.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, for me, I could NOT find "(config)# access-list". Maybe I looked at it and my brain just didn't register, but I swear it wasn't there. Hard to make an access-list without "access-list".

Can you expound on that? What do you mean access-list? you were trying to create an access list or ...?
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    skittledmonkeyskittledmonkey Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    alacori wrote: »
    Hello guys, have been studying for the ICND1 for some time now but am really struggling with the subnetting part. can anyone suggest a better training material that will help me understand and get to take my exam soon? also is it possible to pass the exam without practising with lab equipment at home. the training material i have is just a video and i realize a lot is not shown in there..please help. Thanks a lot

I found the Jeremy way on CBT Nuggets to be the easiest way to understand. With that said, I don't really use his method myself now as I kind of found my own way of doing it but based on him helping me to understand it.
  • Options
    The "access-list" command was not present in global configuration mode. That's really all there was to it.

Maybe I'm blind, or maybe I missed it somehow. Who knows...
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You'll knock it out next time it took me two attempts if I remember correctly to pass my CCENT!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Best advice you can take: Pace yourself. I'm taking the 2 exam route for less stress, and that I am working on a refresh project, so I study when I can.

Edit: Good luck on your exam(s).
  • Options
    Well so far I've been going through practice exams like they are nothing (missed 2 our of 50 on my first attempt), so I have a feeling this coming Wednesday I'll have some good news.
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    don't waste too much time on sims. if u can't figure it out in 5 minutes then just pick an answer & move on to the next question. on my ICND2 test, i had a really big EIGRP sim & i didn't bother doing it cause it would've taken a lot of time. I passed it with 986 score without doing the sim.
  • Options
    Time wasn't an issue for me. I've always been a fast test-taker. On the CCNA, I finished with 35 minutes left. I just wasn't prepared for the test.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, but ideally you want to actually learn EIGRP & OSPF in depth as much as possible for a real life benefit.
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    CCENT exam tonight @ 5 p.m. EST. I got a 96% on the practice exam that I took, so I'm feeling pretty confident on this material. Hopefully splitting it into two exams is the key to me completing my CCNA. I'll update tonight when I pass :D

EDIT: Passed with a 920!! I think, more than anything, I'm glad that I will get reimbursed for this exam. Certification gets expensive...
  • Options
    merc.man87merc.man87 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass devils_haircut! I am starting my journey here soon as well. My problem is I try to cram a ton of information in over the course of 5 or 6 hours. Too much studying for me to do in one day. So I think I am going to break my studying done to 2 hours a day for my ccent. Even though I am finishing up with the Cisco course at my college, and I have some hands on experience from my job. I just want to be refreshed. None the less, congrats again on the test!