Options

Question about Brain **** _ why do people waste their time with them??

kcos0320kcos0320 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
This is only a question why are there so many Brain **** on the web? I cannot understand why people need to **** to pass a test. By remembering the answers your only hurting yourself and you are not learning anything about the material.

I have no desire to use them and I think they are a waste.

Comments

• Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For the same reason that people **** anywhere - they just want the credentials for their resume without putting in the work.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kcos0320 wrote: »
    This is only a question why are there so many Brain **** on the web? I cannot understand why people need to **** to pass a test. By remembering the answers your only hurting yourself and you are not learning anything about the material.

I have no desire to use them and I think they are a waste.

I think if you are on this website it shows you are not interested in ****.

I am not gonna lie, I had thought about them briefly. Not as a memorization thing; just as refresher prior to the test. But I decided to say screw it and believe in my own studying abilities and I did just fine.

In regards to only hurting yourself, that is true. But I also feel like there are plenty of people who take the tests legit who are also paper tigers, and don't have any real grasp of the knowledge either.

-scott
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    A lot of people love the easy way out. On LinkedIn, every time someone asks for resources for a test there's always a few who suggest ****. I try to publicly shame them but they are convinced there's nothing wrong with them. They use the thinnest arguments you can think of, such as "they are just additional practice"or "exams are expensive, I want to make sure I pass."

I work with people who use them and have unsuccessfully tried to modify their bad habit. Now I just keep walking when they mention ****.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Having been in the military and worked for the DOD in a contractor role now, I think a lot of the reason the **** come into play is because of requirements such as 8570. I remember when that came out, and everyone was being pushed to get 8570 compliant, everyone was in a rush to get Security+ and honestly, it really wasn't relevant for a lot of the peoples roles who it was being required for. Because of that, I saw a large number of people sharing **** materials just to get the exam out of the way.

Do I think it is ethical? No, as others mentioned it only robs the person of the knowledge they would of gained through the study process, however I will say sometimes external pressures definitely help lead to people looking for easier ways out.. i.e. ****.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I passed Security+ after 24 hours of study, I was up from 9am to 10pm and figured I would take it the next day after only going through the CBT Nuggets. I stayed up the rest of the night and took it at 10am (something like that). The test has gotten a bit harder since I took it however (I believe there is simulations on it these days?). Not that I would recommend that way of studying. If you need **** for it, something is seriously wrong - it was an easy test.

I would add that CompTIA, Microsoft, Cisco & VMware make no effort to raise the cost of the AdWord campaigns for brain **** companies - they do little to stop the situation arising. As far as I can see they are just happy to be getting their exam fees however they get them.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Which is unfortunate because it dilutes the value of the cert for those who earned it through actual study efforts..
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I passed Security+ after 24 hours of study, I was up from 9am to 10pm and figured I would take it the next day after only going through the CBT Nuggets. I stayed up the rest of the night and took it at 10am (something like that). The test has gotten a bit harder since I took it however (I believe there is simulations on it these days?). Not that I would recommend that way of studying. If you need **** for it, something is seriously wrong - it was an easy test.

I would add that CompTIA, Microsoft, Cisco & VMware make no effort to raise the cost of the AdWord campaigns for brain **** companies - they do little to stop the situation arising. As far as I can see they are just happy to be getting their exam fees however they get them.
  • Options
    SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's about money. Some people can't afford to retake an exam.
    So it's kind of just in case gurarantee.
  • Options
    maharalielmaharaliel Member Posts: 119
    Some people need certificates and they have deadline to get them, they do not even want to spend a lot of money in retaking exams, so to assure the success in exam with low cost they use ****.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    zxbane wrote: »
    Having been in the military and worked for the DOD in a contractor role now, I think a lot of the reason the **** come into play is because of requirements such as 8570. I remember when that came out, and everyone was being pushed to get 8570 compliant, everyone was in a rush to get Security+ and honestly, it really wasn't relevant for a lot of the peoples roles who it was being required for. Because of that, I saw a large number of people sharing **** materials just to get the exam out of the way.

Do I think it is ethical? No, as others mentioned it only robs the person of the knowledge they would of gained through the study process, however I will say sometimes external pressures definitely help lead to people looking for easier ways out.. i.e. ****.
    Totally agree with this regarding 8570... especially for 'peripheral' security personnel, who feel that as software developers (for example) they shouldn't have to take the Security+ at ALL since it doesn't directly benefit them (although I think it does tangentially) and it is difficult for them because it's not in their area of expertise.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    To add on to that... that is a prime example of encouraging checkbox compliance instead of security and indicates a failure to understand what certifications are for, and why the current model for 8570 is broken.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed