1st time Failed 602

gavfishgavfish Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All, after several months study (only 2-3 weeks real cramming) i have a lousy failure to show for it.

Does anybody have any good advice on how to improve for next time?

I felt the questions were very long, and struggled for time just reading them and trying to make sure i understood fully what was being asked.

I have just ordered a Sybex 270 book, which people seem to be saying is a good resource.

I have been using the techexams notes and practice exam, and MCSE Microsoft Windows XP Professional Readiness Review to study.

Thanks in Advance
Gav

Comments

• 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    Just curious if you work with XP at work? You are scaring me, I have been studying for about a month and now am making flashcards for the final details. What were you scoring on practice exams?
    Thanks!

Don't give up! Get back in there and study!!!!
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unlucky take a week off and then try again

Good Luck
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    you CAN do it........
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • gavfishgavfish Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the kind words. i've used XP since it came out. all my desktop stuff i'm confident with.

i felt the exam questions were really wordy and i did panic as i was running out of time. then again if i really knew enough to pass i would be able to answer quicker.

i have ordered the sybex book and will do all the labs in it and re-book the exam for early in the new year provided i finish the book and have completed all practicals.

i was passing the practice exams no probs, but the official exam i found much longer questions, much harder, and much more up to date!

Gav
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    try the practice test on this site.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Ally77Ally77 Member Posts: 212
    I agree that the sybex book is good for this exam but what i found helped most was going over material for the 290 exam such as GPO's as these featured pretty heavily!! :D
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Use the Microsoft books in conjunction with another brand of your choice to study; personally I like the Sybex and Exam Cram books. The Microsoft books will cover the majority of topics but does fall short in others. That's where the other book comes in. So far, the MSFT and Exam Cram books have worked really well for me; not to mention the cram sheet that comes in the EC books.

One thing that I would suggest for anyone looking at this exam, do not think that just because you've worked with XP you can nonchalantly take this exam and pass. I, too, have been working with XP since it released but after reading just a few chapters in the book I realized I didn't know as much as I thought. I would imagine that there are very, very few people who have passed this test -and others of this nature- without a decent amount of studying.
  • 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    I just got this in the mail a couple of days ago. I am very impressed, I took the 50 question exam on certification mode and scored a 63%. I would recommend this book to you because it is much more current when compared to the 1st MS press book (have that one), and the testing seems much more advanced. A lot of interactive questions. Anyway, when you finish the test it gives you a detailed listing of the categories you need to improve in. I got the book off amazon for $33.

Bottom line, don't give up, get back in there and study some more, get the details down and give it another go.

Good luck to you, I know I'll need it!

Keep the java coming! icon_eek.gif
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    get practice tests so you can get used to the style of the questions and learn how to spot the *real* question within the M$ essay q's.

then i guess just research any subjects that you find yourself lacking on.
    witty comment
  • singh07singh07 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gavfish wrote:
    Does anybody have any good advice on how to improve for next time?
    I felt the questions were very long, and struggled for time just reading them and trying to make sure i understood fully what was being asked.

Gav

I completely agree with you that the questions are very lengthy.. I think the main problem is that you got nervous... you might have tried too much to make sure you understood... did u have prior experience of appearin for MS exams?
    gavfish wrote:
    i felt the exam questions were really wordy and i did panic as i was running out of time. then again if i really knew enough to pass i would be able to answer quicker.

Gav

if you have really been usin XP since it came out...then I would say nervousness was the main problem.. dont get panicked.. cool man... and take a week off definately... and forget everything bout this exam... go fresh.. dont think bout ur failure... I wont suggest readin anymore cuz If u went for the exam, it means u think u r ready for it.. what I would suggest is that take a lot of practice exams... and do enable the **** option while takin the prac exam at techexams