Need Lab Equipment, can use advice.

ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hi All,

I've been looking through the forum to see what kind of models people have been using but I am getting eye strain because I am trying to figure this out on my own.. so I'll take the lumps and just flat out ask.

From what i have gathered it looks like

the 2950's and 3550's will cover me through the CCNP... is there a particular number of them people recommend?

I'm going to look at more kits, but would be good to have opinions from folks who have hands on experience with what they consider a good setup.

Comments

• ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have seen a ton of Ebay auctions and really aren't any closer as I don't have the experience to know which one seems the better option... I will be

grabbing this auction.

Complete CCNP Cisco Certified Network Professional Home Lab Kit | eBay
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hold on a second friend. Take a look here:

How to Build a CCNA Security 640-554 Lab

and here:

Cisco CCNP Lab Suggestions | How to Build Your Own Lab

now while the bove link is for CCNP R&S, it mentions a valid point:
    As of about mid 2012 it has become economical enough to consider the 1841 routers for your CCNP lab since they have come down in price significantly. Why might you want to consider the 1841 router for your CCNP lab? Well it is the actual router that is used in the Cisco Academy CCNP ROUTE, SWITCH and TSHOOT Lab Companion Series workbooks. So for the couple of commands here and there that are not covered by the 2600XM routers, well you can be covered now with the 1841 routers! Another bonus is that the 1841 routers can run 15.x IOS. As I am sure you know from the CCNA certification track, Cisco can make changes to the exam blueprint adding and removing concepts without changing the exam number. SDM is a perfect example in the CCNA track. So the 1841s will give you that extra layer of protection, you will be using newer equipment that you will more likely see in the field than a 2600XM series unit and you can use them in your CCIE lab!

I'd highly advise going for 4 1841 routers, and some switches with an ASA. That should get you through CCNA security and likely CCNP Security.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Hold on a second friend. Take a look here:

How to Build a CCNA Security 640-554 Lab

and here:

Cisco CCNP Lab Suggestions | How to Build Your Own Lab

now while the bove link is for CCNP R&S, it mentions a valid point:

I'd highly advise going for 4 1841 routers, and some switches with an ASA. That should get you through CCNA security and likely CCNP Security.

Ordered it and an ASA5505 about 10 minutes before I saw this post icon_sad.gif Thanks though, I did see that article and read a few... I spent a pretty penny altogether, but I am in it to win it! Thank's for replying thought... in all honesty.. there is no way I would not be getting a few CCNP's and heading for my CCIE.. i talked myself out of it in 2012...but it's been eating at me, and I want to see what my limits are...