Options

LinkedIn co-op

Comments

• Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Thanks to those that took the time to review my linkedin profile. I'll work on updating the pic to a more professional one and getting a summary together.

Thanks again and great thread!
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mistabrumley89
    Picture and snapshot are good.

No Summary

Work exp:
    Sysadmin - lots of information with little detail. SQL, Exchange, AD DC - in what capacities? Otherwise looks good and probably OK with this level of detail if you get a decent summary.

Your DOB and marital status are showing.

Rest looks pretty good.

Zorodzai

Picture is good but the contrast makes it a litlte hard to see your face. Snapshot info is good.

Summary feels a little redundant using 'experience' twice in the first sentance. I like the breakdown of EFT products and associated items.

Work exp
    Little information but shows good history.

Certs
    MCP looks a little crowded but these are tough to show, Is NT still common in Zimbabwe or are you trying to show progressive experience with this?

Projects are good. Would like to see some more detail of what you studied at Maru a Pula, Moeding, and NUST.

Oh, and your birth date is showing icon_biggrin.gif
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    I'll work on updating the pic to a more professional one

I think you should just use your avatar pic icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    MCITBoundMCITBound Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Alright - Here's mine: Aaron Andersen | LinkedIn
    If I gave good advice or was insightful, please add to my reputation!! If you have a LinkedIn account and want a new connection, feel free to add me! If you have any questions, ask! :cool:
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    paul78 wrote: »

I'm really quite surprised that so many of you are willing to give you your anonymity on TE.
    Paul you've made note of this a few times. I think this must be a generational mindset. I have met several members from here for beers, lunch, coffee and dinner. It's a great place to network and meet like minded people.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    And here's mine Corey Brewer | LinkedIn
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't see your profile Corey it says Full profiles for 3rd-degree connections are available only to premium account holders.

@Deathmage I like everything you wrote in your profile but why are you showing pictures of basic CompTIA certs? It somewhat undermines that you are an IT company president. Both are entry level certifications so why bother taking pictures and putting so much emphasis on them if you are way beyond helpdesk? That part looks odd otherwise I think your profile is great my suggestion is to just list the certifications instead. Hope that wasn't too harsh.

On that topic I am wondering if it is secure to add the license number for each cert? I had the idea that such info was supposed to be private so I didn't include in my listings.

Anyway now here is my profile: Jared Cash | LinkedIn it's a work in progress and I've started with LinkedIn so any feedback would be helpful. I dislike the picture for some reason but I keep getting told it's perfectly fine. Content wise I'm unsure how I could improve.
  • Options
    techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    draught wrote: »

On that topic I am wondering if it is secure to add the license number for each cert? I had the idea that such info was supposed to be private so I didn't include in my listings.

I am not totally sure about this either, if someone else knows the answer to this question that would be great. I do know this however, you can give out the "validation" code or URL to CompTIA's website to validate someones cert. In fact, anyone could do this, with the correct validation code, you can validate anyone's cert.

I do know that it should be ok to list license numbers on a resume, so that a potential employer could validate the cert. I guess for LinkedIn, it depends on how you setup your privacy/security settings (public or private), and other factors.
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • Options
    jabneyjabney Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @Coreyb80

I think you image could use a little more light. Also you two desktop support jobs seems to give good info but doesnt show much progression. if you were with the previous place for 6 years it looks like your still doing the same work just somewhere else. Showing a progression is good. Also you have exp. but no certs why did you leave them out ?

@Deathmage
    I agree the picture of your certs look weird. IMHO you be better served by listing your certs in the certification section and including you Carrer ID for cert verification purposes.

@Draught I love your picture nice and clear and bright. As for the license number i think it's fine i have mines on my profile. I'm also a firm believer if someone wants the info they'll get it so i don't see any reason to hide the license number.

Here's mine if anyone wants to critique it. JASON ABNEY | LinkedIn Overall I plan to change the picture for a mid-shoulder up profile shot other than that I'm pretty ok with my profile.
  • Options
    bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just spruced it up, advice is appreciated as always, thanks!Joshawa Speiker | LinkedIn
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    NovaHax wrote: »
    I think you should just use your avatar pic icon_thumright.gif

Brilliant!
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @coreyb80 - you may want to change your picture. The shadow in the background makes you look like you are hiding in shadows. Also - you may want to remove the "Holiday Guest Mixer" job. It looks like a part time job and distracts from the 2 very well known companies that you worked for in financial services.

@N2IT - are you calling me an old fart again? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    RaystafarianRaystafarian Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm game LinkedIn
    Hit me up on LinkedIn - just mention you're from techexams.
  • Options
    Paul I am calling you very successful and very smart. :)
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    @coreyb80 - you may want to change your picture. The shadow in the background makes you look like you are hiding in shadows. Also - you may want to remove the "Holiday Guest Mixer" job. It looks like a part time job and distracts from the 2 very well known companies that you worked for in financial services.

@N2IT - are you calling me an old fart again? icon_lol.gif

Great advice. Took down the DJ gig and now I have to find a better solo pic of myself.
  • Options
    jabney wrote: »
    @Coreyb80

I think you image could use a little more light. Also you two desktop support jobs seems to give good info but doesnt show much progression. if you were with the previous place for 6 years it looks like your still doing the same work just somewhere else. Showing a progression is good. Also you have exp. but no certs why did you leave them out ?

My last place I was at for 6 years started out in Customer Service and then moved to IT 3 years in. When I moved in to IT it was nothing near what I was doing now. I'm studying for my CCENT. My current position is currently a contract position and been that way since August 2013. My contract is good until May in which either I'll be hired, extended, or let go. So I've been looking for other opportunities and going on interviews to avoid getting caught with my pants down so to speak. Great points and thanks for mentioning progress because I needed to hear that.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Great thread and very interesting to see everyone's profiles.
  • Options
    mokaibamokaiba Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    May need to add me by clicking on connect if it says 3rd blah blah. It may want an email address. PM for the email address.

timothy gilbertson | LinkedIn

Eh, why not.

Todd Y. | LinkedIn

I've always wondered, but why do people add the course names for WGU?
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mine is in my sig...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    Well, gee, since everyone else is doing it...

Jon Grimes | LinkedIn

Right now it reads too much like my resume. If I decide to start looking for another job in a few months I will need to spruce it up a bit.

BTW - If you want to connect just mention TechExams; I am especially looking for contacts in the Denver area.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mokaiba wrote: »

I do because I'm relatively new to the job market. I'll be removing them in the next few months once I start my graduate degree.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @Raystafarian - others may disagree but I like how your summary is written as a narrative. It's a good technique with LinkedIn because it's a style which you typically would avoid on a more formal resume. But seems to work well on LinkedIn. Also - what I like about how you listed your jobs is that you listed actual business accomplishments such as the cost savings - too often - people list responsibilities instead of highlighting successes. Nice profile.
  • Options
    Architect192Architect192 Member Posts: 157 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got quite a few invites since posting here lol :)
    Current: VCAP-DCA/DCD, VCP-DCV2/3/4/5, VCP-NV 6 - CCNP, CCNA Security - MCSE: Server Infrastructure 2012 - ITIL v3 - A+ - Security+
    Working on: CCNA Datacenter (2nd exam), Renewing VMware certs...
  • Options
    mokaiba wrote: »

I don't think its really a WGU thing. I didn't attend WGU and I list my courses.
  • Options
    techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Got quite a few invites since posting here lol :)

yeah, me too, along with the +300% weekly change in views. lol.
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • Options
    techwizard wrote: »
    yeah, me too, along with the +300% weekly change in views. lol.

Whoa...yeah, that's a difference. I'm only up 126% this week...send some of that love this way, lol
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been randomly watching some of you and I don't understand one thing: Why are you making everything publicly available? You are giving out a lot of information that may be used against you. At least I think that work experience, education and profile picture are better off the public profile.