Options

Age of people that are CCNAs.

Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
Hi, this might sound like a pointless question, but I was wondering if there was anyone under the age of 18 on these forums that has their CCNA. Thank you.
Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University

Comments

• Options
    opers13opers13 Member Posts: 100
    I wish I had my CCNA when I was 18.....
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Here you go....

I don't know about the forum...but here is a 13 year old with his MCSE and CCNA

http://www.akce.ac.in/chandrasekar.html

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    30 here

hope to get ccnp when 31
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well, I hope to get my CCNA on monday. ;) but that makes me 20. I'm going to pick up some CCNP books right after that.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    1Ste1Ste Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just recently turned 18 and I am studying for A+, Network + and CCNA all at same time, I will take A+ first then Network+ then CCNA last. The earlier you start the better, you need alot of certs now a days.... and degrees. and no life to study it all. like me.

I will also add CIS and Linux + to my sig.
    Working for Network+, Server+, CCNA, Security+, CCNP, CCIE. MCSE.

Bachelors Degree in computer information Systems.

Wanna help?
  • Options
    kyle.tkkyle.tk Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm 17. I should (hopefully) have my CCNA soon.
  • Options
    kyle.tk wrote:
    I'm 17. I should (hopefully) have my CCNA soon.

Honestly...I think all of you should wait until your 40 or so....By then I will be too old to care about the competition! haha.. icon_lol.gif

Just kidding...Good luck to you! I hope all of you get it, no matter what your age is. If you know the stuff then you know the stuff...

Kenny
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    1Ste1Ste Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Now if only i started 4 years ago, I would be on my way to CCNP by now. Damm me...
    Working for Network+, Server+, CCNA, Security+, CCNP, CCIE. MCSE.

Bachelors Degree in computer information Systems.

Wanna help?
  • Options
    unknown1234unknown1234 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I didn't know what CCNA was in 2000 (When I was 1icon_cool.gif or any IT certifications for that matter.
  • Options
    DarklyWiseDarklyWise Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    32 - taking CCNA next year, just completing my BS degree and have Masters planned. Also remember that the average person changes careers 4 times in this day and age...

You are never too old - you are only as old as you think you are. People in their 50's complete Medical School, Law School, etc.

Good luck on your endeavours, and don't let age be the defining factor.

DW
    A being Darkly Wise and Rudely Great
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Haha I think I've confused you guys. You see, I'm 15, not 40 or so. Thats why I was wondering if anyone was young and had passed their CCNA. You are right in that age is not a factor, as I am A+ Certified. Thanks.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    xwesleyxwillisxxwesleyxwillisx Member Posts: 158
    Got my CCNA 4 months before my 18th birthday and 2 months before high school graduation.
  • Options
    mikeyoungmikeyoung Member Posts: 101
    On the other end of the spectrum, I got my CCNA at 51. So it is never too early, or too late...

mike
    Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.
  • Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I got my CCNA one month before my 25th birthday.

I'll try to get my CCNP before my 26th birthday (which is in April '06) but that's probably a too short schedule. icon_smile.gif
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    matlmatl Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Got my CCNA at 24.
  • Options
    Got my CCNA right after I turned 18. I'm still 18 right now. Took me a couple tries but I eventually passed it. Been studying networking since I was 16. A+ was my first cert when I was 15. I talked to this one kid though who was 19 and had MCSA and CCNP @.@ I wish I was that guy.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    There are a lot of people who are doing certifications and some pretty advanced stuff, even in their teens. I knew a guy in high school, he was about 16, and he probably knew more about software development than most computer science teachers. Another good example is one of the contributing writers for the fourth edition of "Hacking Exposed". I don't remember his name at the moment, but he is just pushing thirty now, and he was a CCIE candidate at 19.

The idea is, it doesn't really matter what age you are. It matters how much you know, how much experience you have, and, in some cases, a little bit of natural affluance helps. For some people, doing the A+ is a nightmarish endeavor. For others, picking up books and doing some lab work is like soaking up water with a sponge. It doesn't really matter if you're 18 or 81, you're still you. You still might breeze through something like the CCNA, you might have to go back and test half a dozen times. It's all about how good you are, no matter what age you may be.

Well, there is one thing I should add to this thread. It may not matter what age you are when you're getting educated, (college, certs, etc. . .) but it can make a difference when you're looking for work. The older you are, the more difficult it is to convince a company that you're not out of date or behind the times. Even people who have a well-rounded background might have some trouble to get a new job if they're in their forties or fifties. (Even a certain admin for a super-expensive health club, that I know, is having issues, and he's working with a nearly-unlimited budget and just about any new technology he decides to impliment.)

So, I guess the catch is this: the younger you are, and you're realizing you want to get certified, the better. The more education you have, (and I consider the time spent studying for these certs education, just like you should push for that college degree,) the more of an edge you have when you're going out there to work. It's a tough industry, and you have to keep on top of just about everything, to get where you want to be. Long gone are the days when you could specialize in one thing, and not know anything about another. No more "mile-wide, inch deep", you have to have "mile-wide, almost as deep". Don't let your age keep you from pursuing your goal, being young only means that you'll have more time for more advanced things, and then you'll have more time to go even further than any certification can take you.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i was 35 when i got mine ..... icon_twisted.gif
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    LongbowLongbow Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just got mine and I'm 44.
  • Options
    I think I was 25 or 26.....hopefully 32 when I get my first IE. icon_lol.gif ...

Kenny
    Kenny

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    I think I was 25 or 26.....hopefully 32 when I get my first IE. icon_lol.gif ...

Kenny

man.... I thought you were a lot older than that icon_wink.gif

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    Hopefully, if I get lucky, when I have a kid, his birth certificate will say CCIE icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Ten9t6 wrote:

Kenny

2lbs.

I feel a lot older than that....does that count...? icon_lol.gif

Kenny
    Kenny

• Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Ten9t6 wrote:
    Ten9t6 wrote:

Kenny

2lbs.

I feel a lot older than that....does that count...? icon_lol.gif

Kenny

Yeah.... if you feel like you're 50. sure! icon_wink.gif

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    thomasdalythomasdaly Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am 16 and have booked my exam in January. Did the 1st semester of the net academy course at my high school in Australia and am now self-studying with Richard Deal's study guide (mc graw hill).
  • Options
    GodHandGodHand Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    me 21. icon_cool.gif
    Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    One of the things that is unfortunate for us younger guys (I'm 1icon_cool.gif, is that even with certs we're not as likely to be taken serious by a prospective employer as someone who is older. Experience is, of course, an important piece, but I would be willing to bet that a younger person with some experience is less likely to be hired than an older one with very little experience. On the other hand, maturity is an important factor in the workplace, and that may be a valid reason for this seemingly unfair reality. These certs test your knowledge, but can't give an employer any insight regarding one's maturity level. I suppose that's what the interviews are for.
  • Options
    kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikeyoung wrote:
    On the other end of the spectrum, I got my CCNA at 51. So it is never too early, or too late...

mike
    At 42 I thought I was the oldest here. Quick story, my landlord became a doctor at 50 something he was a bartender for many years working at night and studying during the day. So there you have it.
  • Options
    jdog0254jdog0254 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i am 19 yrs old. i recieved my ccna last year and now i am pursuing ccnp(2/4) and ccsp(3/5). it really helped me that i was able to take courses at the vo-tech while i was in high school. now after graduating last year i am working for a cisco silver certified partner as a field engineer.
    JDog0254
  • Options
    fredd13fredd13 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm 28...
    Now upto CCNA semester 3...
    Thinking about taking the main exam in 2 parts....
    For ease of study..

Fred
    icon_rolleyes.gif
    Gained Foundation Degree in Computer Network Management