Options

CEH scheduled

BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
So through the WGU:ISA program, I have to pass the CEH certification. I ended up scheduling it for Wed 3/19.

I've done all the required WGU reading, iLearn/iLabs, all the required ucertify prep and done some reading in the Matt Walker book to brush up on things I may have not touched.

I'm not even going to lie...I have never been so unmotivated to pass a certification. Between the redonk amount of material WGU provides and the CEH site getting hacked/poor response and realizing this is more a "tools and output" exam....blah just get it over with.

Comments

• Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm sure you'll pass, but I agree, that is one certification I have no desire to pursue because of the reputation and recent hacking as well.
  • Options
    5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with both of you...but just knock it out and remember the MSISA degree is the end goal, with the CEH being just a hurdle.
  • Options
    Thanks zxbane

5ekurity - Of course, you are right...sigh...
  • Options
    Trust me, I feel your pain...going through some of the CIW certifications, nobody cares about them but they are required. I'm really trying to hurry these up so I can take my SANS training, which is actually relevant!
  • Options
    5ekurity,

Are you doing the work study program or something through an employer? Or simply paying out of pocket, and what course? Sorry for the de-rail but I suspect BG doesn't care much for the CEH lol..
  • Options
    I'm going through my employer, starting with the GSEC. Going to do the OnDemand program so I can study even if I need to travel. Since I'm going to be shifting into high gear soon with some Linux and Cisco certs through WGU, I think that all the training classes will compliment one another.

I kicked around the idea of starting with the GCED or GCIH, but I felt that my Linux skills aren't where I wanted them to be, plus I'd learn some additional technical skill at the GSEC level that I may not already be comfortable with. Since I have to wear many security "hats" at my current job, many of the SANS classes are relevant and my employer supports my continued education (I consider myself fortunate, because my last two employers did not support me much or at all).

If you haven't seen already, SANS is offering $600 off online training.

SANS Institute
  • Options
    Deadven0mDeadven0m Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree its not one of the most sought after cert..but the fact that they got hacked is not such a negative things. I mean even Mike Tyson got knocked up a few times in his Prime.

lol
  • Options
    Well, took it and passed this morning. Glad it's over with but also walked away with a better understanding of hacking methods and some tools.

Forced me to spend some time with NMAP and I ended up picking a book to learn more, overall I think that was the most valuable part of this cert. (and of course the 3 credits towards the MS degree)

@DeadVen0m, good point....
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks guys! It was good timing as I'm starting the Stanly CC VmWare class today! whew! No rest!
  • Options
    richymartinrichymartin Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm just glad I didn't pay for CEH out of my own pocket....

Cant beat a week out of the office on bootcamp and a slightly-recognised cert for 0% monetary contribution :)

Some of the tools and concepts in the course, although not new, does give the crevasses of your brain a bit of a spring clean.

Congrats on the pass :)
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    BGraves wrote: »
    I'm not even going to lie...I have never been so unmotivated to pass a certification. Between the redonk amount of material WGU provides and the CEH site getting hacked/poor response and realizing this is more a "tools and output" exam....blah just get it over with.

Congrats BG

I felt the same way about this coures and not to demotivate you but I thought the CHFI was even worse....
  • Options
    Thanks richy/da_vato!

@da_vato....fackkkkk......well at least that one isn't until a few months down the road, don't think I could handle doing these back to back.
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck! I wanted to take this exam, but since I don't work in infosec I'm out of luck icon_rolleyes.gif
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    no!all!, you're not actually missing much.
    If you were to pick up nmap and a few other related tools and learn them pretty well, you'd probably have an equivalent amount of knowledge. lol
    Since the exam is usually $500, I'm not sure why anyone would pay that for this exam/cert. I took it through my MS course, so thankfully didn't have to pay.
  • Options
    LostpacketLostpacket Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    BGraves wrote: »
    no!all!, you're not actually missing much.
    If you were to pick up nmap and a few other related tools and learn them pretty well, you'd probably have an equivalent amount of knowledge. lol
    Since the exam is usually $500, I'm not sure why anyone would pay that for this exam/cert. I took it through my MS course, so thankfully didn't have to pay.

I'm paying because it's a very widely recognized cert and seems like a logical step between Sec+ and $ANS & CISSP. While I would agree it tends to be somewhat overrated, I have definitely learned a good amount in my studies.

Congrats on the pass.
  • Options
    icezellionicezellion Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know why people knock the CEH so much... I learned a ton from the course material. I've worked in infosec, but I was still able to learn a lot.
  • Options
    emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    icezellion wrote: »
    I don't know why people knock the CEH so much... I learned a ton from the course material. I've worked in infosec, but I was still able to learn a lot.

Agree. The iClass and iLabs are excellent IMO. Plus, if they made the CEH extremely hard and no one could pass it, it'd still be knocked.
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    icezellion wrote: »

I totally agree. The official courseware has some great info.