Options

Looking for assistance purchasing Serial WIC Cards for a 2801

spawn_of_jorelspawn_of_jorel Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently building a cisco CCNA lab in home, I am working with 3 x Cisco 2801 and 3 x Cisco 3750, I am unsure of which type would benefit me the most as far as speed and functionality, I am working on the ICND2 portion of the CCNA.

Looking for connection types and cables types?

Thanks all icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Don't worry about speed, unless you plan on routing production/live traffic through it. Usually people get Wic-1 or Wic-2t or NM-4a/s or NM-4T . Check compatibility against your specific router on cisco.com page.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally, I prefer the WIC-1DSU-T1-V2. Its cheaper, you can make your own cables, and its what you will see (or one of its successors for the ISR2 Routers such as the HWIC-1DSU-T1 or HWIC-4T1) in a real network.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    thanks very much, still trying to figure out why a 1T or a 2T can have a DB26 connector and or a DB60 connector. I currently have 2 x 2MFT - T1. I have chosen the slower more thorough route and kind of wanted the serial cables along with the DS1 modules as well. Question can both be used as serial interfaces, as of now the T1 controllers are just showing up as (controller T1 0/0/0)

Looking for a good suggestion for a serial interface WIC module and what I should be looking for as far as connector types and which I would benefit most from. This is only in a lab environment.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Both the { WIC-1T, WIC-2T, NM-4A/S, NM-8A/S, NM-4T } and { WIC-1DSU-T1-V2, HWIC-1DSU-T1 } can be used as a serial interface. The only difference is the cables and how you set the clock rate and speed:

WIC-1T (DCE):

interface s0/0/0
    ip address 99.0.0.1 255.255.255.252
    clock rate 64000
    encapsulation ppp
    no shutdown

WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 (DCE):

interface s0/0/0
    service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
    service-module t1 clock source internal
    encapsulation ppp
    no shutdown

WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 (DTE):

interface s0/0/0
    service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
    service-module t1 clock source line
    encapsulation ppp
    no shutdown

The VWIC-xMFT-T1 should be usable for Serial Data, but I believe there is an additional command to make it operate as a data circuit instead of a voice (T1 PRI) circuit.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Thanks Theodoxa, I will look into purchasing the WIC-1DSU-T1-V2.....