need advice on a book for 70-410

alphabanksalphabanks Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I would like to know what is the best book for the 70-410 exam? From what I've seen on Amazon the official MS books have really bad reviews. So I'm curious in knowing what book did you guys use for the exam.

Comments

  • bskelhornbskelhorn Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have just ordered "Exam Ref (70-410): Installing And Configuring Windows Server 2012 by Craig Zacker." It seems to have good reviews, I will let you know more once it has arrived.

    good luck with the studying and the exam.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    bskelhorn wrote: »
    I have just ordered "Exam Ref (70-410): Installing And Configuring Windows Server 2012 by Craig Zacker." It seems to have good reviews, I will let you know more once it has arrived.

    good luck with the studying and the exam.


    $12 for the ebook version on o'reilly...can't beat that.
  • KorovievKoroviev Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How familiar are you with the objectives? If this is all new to you, then you would probably be better off starting with the training guide and some videos. TechNet offers some great virtual labs for this material.
  • alphabanksalphabanks Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been working in servers for about 10 years also I've been using Server 2012 for at least a year. However, that does not mean anything this is my first attempt at any certification. I want to make sure that all my bases are covered I know some mcse's that say it's the way you perform a task at work everyday than there's Microsoft's way.
  • KorovievKoroviev Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    alphabanks wrote: »
    I have been working in servers for about 10 years also I've been using Server 2012 for at least a year. However, that does not mean anything this is my first attempt at any certification. I want to make sure that all my bases are covered I know some mcse's that say it's the way you perform a task at work everyday than there's Microsoft's way.

    If it's all new to you...otherwise, I would just go with the Exam Ref, a practice exam, and some labs (and the Microsoft virtual ones are still nice). icon_thumright.gif
  • kingorankskingoranks Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Mate,

    How is the book? anyone good, I am after a good book to read
  • KorovievKoroviev Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kingoranks wrote: »
    Hi Mate,

    How is the book? anyone good, I am after a good book to read

    If you're looking to kick back and read for a few hours, I would pick Mastering Server 2012 R2 over the exam ref. The exam ref is much more enjoyable if you have a server to follow along with instructions as they pop up.
  • mr_tech_ukmr_tech_uk Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all

    Just had a email fro amazon to say the book has been shipped looking forward to getting teeth into it

    We’re going to deliver your order, containing the item(s) listed below, today.


    Zacker, Craig "Exam Ref 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2"
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0735684243

  • omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    the book microsoft suggests on it's website is the one by Mitch Toulloch "Installing & Configuring Windows Server" training guide & another one called exam ref guide....both r POS...On the training guide he mentioned in the introduction that this book ain't sufficient to pass the test.......So after a thorough research I found one which is also ny microdoft press Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 Exam 70 410 Microsoft Official A 1118511077 | eBay

    -this one seems to do the job right....I'm also studying for the 70-410........also try pluralsight.com video lesson on the course......i just switched from cbtnuggets just for this course......ed liberman did a better job than james conrad in 70-410 lesson.....good luck...
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I'm using MCSA Windows Server 2012 Complete Study Guide: Exams 70-410, 70-411, 70-412, and 70-417 by William Panek. It's a bit pricey but it covers all 3 exams required for MCSA 2012. He does have an interesting method of covering related objectives across multiple exams in each section (e.g. Chapter 1 covers an exam objective for 70-410 and 70-411). I've noticed some people (on the forums) don't like that concept, but it really makes sense because there is a lot of overlap between 410, 411, and 412.
  • KorovievKoroviev Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    I'm using MCSA Windows Server 2012 Complete Study Guide: Exams 70-410, 70-411, 70-412, and 70-417 by William Panek. It's a bit pricey but it covers all 3 exams required for MCSA 2012. He does have an interesting method of covering related objectives across multiple exams in each section (e.g. Chapter 1 covers an exam objective for 70-410 and 70-411). I've noticed some people (on the forums) don't like that concept, but it really makes sense because there is a lot of overlap between 410, 411, and 412.

    A few of the MCTs recommend studying for all three exams before sitting for the first, so it's not a bad approach. My only reservation would be that a book that purports to cover everything probably covers each area to a lesser extent. So, still I prefer to have a couple key references for each exam.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I agree that you can't put your eggs in one basket, that's why I also have CBT Nuggets to compliment the book. For me, it's been very effective so far (4th day into my 70-410 studies).
Sign In or Register to comment.