Options

Hope for females in I.T. Industry

Had my first job interview for ages yesterday. Anxiously waiting in the room starring at the other applicants in suits and filling out loads of questionaires, I realized how far I had come.

The interview was hard but I gave it my best shot. I was totally swept off my feet that I had to do a technical exam there, but I tried to handle it the best I could. Considering I did not see that many other females there I was sure I was on a losing battle.

Confidence prevailed and I persevered. You don't know these things unless you try them.

Anyhow to cut a long story short, I got the job. 3 months trial and hopefully some more experience to put on my resume.

:D:D:D
If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!

Comments

• Options
    lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's cool. Best of luck for your new job icon_smile.gif
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Congratulations. I'm still stuck in reverse. What i mean is i am yet to get a positive acknowledgement apart from the nerve wrecking "We are sorry your "candy denture" was not retained. Imagine i've tried in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, you name it. I wouldn't mind if i got an entry level position in the West Bank icon_wink.gif . Any way, i'll keep on trying and studying at the same time.

Cheers
    Hard times on planet earth.
  • Options
    qsubqsub Member Posts: 303
    Congrats,

You're exactly what we need in the IT field. More females icon_cool.gif

I'm sick of going into a lab and lecture filled with guys icon_sad.gif
    World Cup 2006 - Zidane - Never Forget.
  • Options
    matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    Congrats! That is awesome.

There are 3 females in my IT department and they are all exellent at their jobs. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats, you deserve it! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe we should change the topic to
    "Hope for sexy females in I.T. Industry" or
    "Why do all females in IT look like men?"

Anyone else agree? It's just generally all i see are ugly women in IT, it doesnt make meeting women any easier when you work in IT.Next job i take i'm looking for an IT department with a call center, now these call centers are usually thriving with sexy women!!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    icon_lol.gif
    There are some lady geek in the software engineering dpt especially the hot, smart, kick ass type. icon_wink.gif

But ofcourse we need more hot GALS in I T. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    porengoporengo Member Posts: 343
    First, congrats on getting the job! I knew you had it in the bag. icon_thumright.gif

Second, congrats on being a new TeamTechies member, and for kicking it off in the UK. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    Thank you Peter. I'm glad to be on board with Team Techies. Unfortunately the job that I applied for was a bit misleading. The job indictated that travel expenses would be paid, but when it came to the crunch it was a no go. I had to turn the job down due to the fact that I could not afford the travel from home to the company.

It was very disheartening, but I guess you got to take the highs with the lows. icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well that's a bit of a disappointment. Too often companies nowadays seem to treat people more like office supplies.

"Yes, I know that you're trying to MAKE money, but can't you just finance it all yourself and we'll get you back later?"

No, no I can't. I would like to help you, but if you can't get me there to do the job, obviously your management style doesn't meet my needs, thanks.

As far as the female ratio goes, good job! I think we definitely need more of the fairer sex, just to have multiple ways of looking at things. Too many of one gender and things tend to get odd.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I need more women in my dept, I have never even meet an IT girl.
  • Options
    One of my really good buddies is an obnoxiously good network admin.

She's gorgeous and doesn't look her age at all, so everyone assumes she has no brain (watching people get put in their place entertains me to no end). She gives some of the doctors a good run, and I'm pretty sure the place would fall apart if she were gone for more than a day.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    Thanks for the supports guys. Just hoping to find a job in London. I know the money is good there, but to me its more than just the money. I have a passion for I.T. and a longing for it to become a career more than just a job. I'm only entry level, but you got to start somewhere!

Cheers anyhow

Heres a link to what I look like

http://k-pax.deviantart.com/
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Will you marry me??
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    icon_eek.gif Now thats one gogeouse geekess!

You might wanna try some Halle Berry stint in the next 007.
    icon_wink.gif
    Cheers and goodluck with the job hunt.
  • Options
    MetaldaveMetaldave Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fairplay to ya, sure you got the first one. I'm sure you'll get another no probs! At present in Ireland there are some 8000 IT jobs and no to do them as everyone stopped doing computer courses here a few years back when the bubble burst! Crazy huh? Is it the same anywhere else?
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey, where abouts in London are you from?

If you have got good qualifications and skills you should be able to get a job in london easy. There are heaps of females in the IT industry in London (more guys than gals still) and a lot of them, including guys are useless. It is hard to find good IT people in London.

I moved here from Australia about 6 months ago and haven't been out of a job since. Was trying to take a bit of a holiday but no chance, too many work offers.
  • Options
    Maybe we need to move to the UK then! There are lots of jobs here in the US, but many of them are given out to people not from the US (prolly because we americans, on average, are poorly educated).

As far as the female aspect goes, it shouldn't matter what you look like, it should matter that you're qualified to do the job.

I've never understood (other than the proverbial "they" demographically) why people must be hired that are X, or not X (say, over 40, or a minority, etc.).

Perhaps that's why I'm not in charge of the world, because I would try to treat people fairly.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am always willing to swap :)

I would love to work a year or 2 in the U.S.

We can exchange to London or to Australia which is where I am really from icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Well I'm about 73 miles outside of London and I was willing to do the commuting everyday. I have joined up with over twenty different IT recruitement agencies, but there's always going to be someone out there who is more experienced.

I don't lack dedication or motivation, but it has been a very hard process, but that does not deter me from pushing forwards.

Even if I have to start at the bottom and work my way up to the top it will be a start. I know it won't be easy, but I have the patience and perseverance to carry on. I guess I never let it get the better of me.

I will continue with my studies and then eventually take the exams.

:D
  • Options
    spudnikspudnik Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are loads of females working in Jersey Channel Islands... you could allways move over here..

Many of them that I know are IT Managers..