Options

I.T has been a waste of time...

2»

Comments

• Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    garv221 - almost everything you say is golden except for one little bit.

Lazy, good for nothing suck asses DO get promoted above other people SOMETIMES. People who have no idea how to manage OR actually do the work themselves. Sorry but I have seen it and it DOES happen.

And my comment about it happening everywhere is aimed at people who are fed up with office politics. People feel cheated and under appreciated in all of these types of professions.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    strauchr wrote:
    garv221 - almost everything you say is golden except for one little bit.

Lazy, good for nothing suck asses DO get promoted above other people SOMETIMES. People who have no idea how to manage OR actually do the work themselves. Sorry but I have seen it and it DOES happen.

And my comment about it happening everywhere is aimed at people who are fed up with office politics. People feel cheated and under appreciated in all of these types of professions.

You are correct, it does happen but I think a lot of that is a person’s perception on what is really happening. When people feel that someone is ass kissing, they tend to get an attitude and it is noticed and that then furthers their chances of being promoted. People just need to relax, stride and play. An employee cannot change office politics but can make the politicking work toward his advantage. If a person has that positive attitude, knows how the system works and it never works out, then it really is time to move on.
  • Options
    EverythingPCownerEverythingPCowner Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well put. A can do attitude will go along way. Make a note to tell people what you accomplished. Perception is reality.
    Alabama or Bust!
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    everythingpcowner, nice to see some more southern blood creeping in here. I grew up in Mississippi (Biloxi), and spent most of my life there. I went to Mississippi State University and lived in Starkville (about 2 hours from Tuscaloosa) for about 5 years. I've only been in Chicago 5 years so far.

Alabama or bust? nice :D
  • Options
    walaboomwalaboom Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Main Event wrote:
    I should have taken something else...what a joke of a career

For some reason I kinda have to agree with this statement.

I worked for 2 major companies (MCI, IBM) and I have friends who work for other big companies. It is very frustrating to work in a big company like the ones I mentioned above, because you don't know if you will be able to keep your job tomorrow. They all outsourcing like crazy.

MCI move a lot of their operation oversea to Singapore and HK for cheaper labor. The price of 1 network engineer here = the price of 3 network engineers oversea.

IBM laid off a lot of permanent employee and move their operation to Brazil, India and other oversea countries, it is ridiculous

Developer in US average $24/hr (this is low estimate) Developer in Brazil $6/hr (this is high estimate)

Another thing in common, those companies are hiring contractors to replace the perment worker, so they can save money on labor the same time when they move the operation oversea, contractors are easier to get rid of.

Is IT career a joke? I really don't know. It is a career that requires so much reading, so much hardwork, so much brain power, but what do you get in return?

40 year old developer with "gray" hair got laid off by Bank of America because they decide to hire a contractor for his positon.

A friend of mine got a job at IBM through contractor starting 16/hr and paycut after paycut now he is getting 14/hr. IBM now is ready to outsource his department to Brazil. He has been with them for couple years.

Story goes on...............
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    Main Event wrote:
    I should have taken something else...what a joke of a career
    It beats picking strawberries out in the California sun for $8/hr. Oh wait, they just raised the farm labor rate to $15/hr. Hmmm...
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    It also beats cutting tobacco in Ohio for room and board :D
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah but how much study and effort do strawberry pickers have to put into their career?
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    By that question it's obvious you never did strawberry picking, its a fine art.
    The true strawberry picker can pick all day and never have a single blotch of
    red juice on his fingers.
    It takes true dedication not to eat those strawberries and only after years of videos similar to the type seen in Clockwork Orange can you be left unsupervised in the strawberry field.

Strawberrrrriiesss Mmmmm, Ciscoooo uhhhhh
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    By that question it's obvious you never did strawberry picking, its a fine art.
    The true strawberry picker can pick all day and never have a single blotch of
    red juice on his fingers.
    It takes true dedication not to eat those strawberries and only after years of videos similar to the type seen in Clockwork Orange can you be left unsupervised in the strawberry field.

Strawberrrrriiesss Mmmmm, Ciscoooo uhhhhh

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Matter of fact is if a strawberry picker did a lot of strawberry eating in the field, he'd...ummmmm.....have a lot of complications and spoil the crop
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    No need to bash me...I haven't bashed anyone...I don't work at subway but thanks for asking....

Gotta love America

You can lock this thread.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Main Event wrote:
    No need to bash me...I haven't bashed anyone...I don't work at subway but thanks for asking....

Gotta love America

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but when you started this thread you opened yourself up to the bashing. Some people probably took offense to it.

Personally, I think you should listen to the quote in your own signature instead of blaming others for whatever mishaps you might have.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Main Event wrote:
    Done per your request.
This discussion has been closed.