Wondering If I Made The Right Move Regarding This Job Offer

coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
Afternoon everyone and hope everyone is having a pretty good day. I'm currently in a contracted position doing Helpdesk and I've been doing this since August of last year. My contract has been extended twice now. I was having some doubts about the position so I decided to start applying for a new gig and interview. I interview for a permanent position about 2 weeks at a great company, great location, and excellent working atmosphere. I get the call today from the IT director offering me the position. Here's the kicker, she asked me what my range was and I told her $45-$47K salary. She replies and says the position pays $40 and I countered and said $45. She told she would go back and work her numbers again to try to get my number. Just wondering if I made the right move in doing so and was I pushing the envelope. If she does meet my number I will be accepting without a doubt. Any input would be appreciated.
WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
Completion Date: May 2021

Comments

• keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    as long as your not going down in pay, training available and growth opportunities are available.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're not out of work. Stick to your guns !!!

There is one of you and but many jobs and employers !!!
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    pramin wrote: »
    You're not out of work. Stick to your guns !!!

There is one of you and but many jobs and employers !!!

True...I also have an interview scheduled for 7AM tomorrow for a contract to hire position as well.
  • IS3IS3 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wonder where you get paid $45k-$47k pay range? here in California it is around $30K-$35K icon_sad.gif
    :study:
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    IS3 wrote: »
    I wonder where you get paid $45k-$47k pay range? here in California it is around $30K-$35K icon_sad.gif

I'm a IT Manager in NY for a Corrugation company and I make 58K. It's not unheard of, but I get shafted on OT, I get straight pay after 40 so that's a bit lame. But I normally work 65 to 70 hours a week on top of my cert studies on weekends. I also get mileage reimbursement.

I've basically self-taught myself half of the certifications I'm going for lol!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Absolutely stick to your guns. When I moved to Chicago in 2006 I requested $50k. They low balled me at $43k. I built my case and settled for $48k plus a $2000 yearly bonus.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    You have to be able to walk away if they low-ball you.

That said, you need to demonstrate why you want $X.
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Absolutely stick to your guns. When I moved to Chicago in 2006 I requested $50k. They low balled me at $43k. I built my case and settled for $48k plus a $2000 yearly bonus.

Nice move!
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Most employers expect some type of salary negotiation. Don't stress about asking. Only you will know how to respond when they come back with another offer or say they can't do anymore.

Good Luck!
  • puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    As others have said, stick to what you believe you are worth. If you have demonstrated that you are worth the investment, they will try their best to meet you at your expectations. With that said, you have to know when to walk if things go weary.

Back in 2010, I was looking for a new job, and found one about an hour away. I asked for a certain salary and they were unable to meet it, but I took a lower offer anyway. That was a big mistake for me in my career as I am now trying to fight against all of the "What do you currently make?" questions. Show them why you are worth 45K, and stick with it.
    Called the IT Director back today for follow up. She advised me that she hadn't gone over the budget yet, but she did schedule me for a video conference to meet with her Monday morning since she won't be able to make it here anytime soon. I told her that I'm willing to prove my worth to the company and that I'm also open to negotiating as well.

Didn't land the gig this morning, I was down at first, but then realized the goal here is to land a full time gig, not a contract not a contract to hire at this point and time. I have that opportunity in front of me and just need to make the numbers work.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    That is the best way and just keep a great positive attitude about it.

Go for what will help you best in the end and remember in all cases this isn't the last company out there should something not go as planned.
    Update: Got the call from the IT Director saying they wanted to go in a different direction now. It was mind boggling how she called me last week to offer me the job then once I told her how much I make she recanted and made me interview with her that following Monday. Mind you, I told her on the initial phone interview how much I make so I'm not sure if she thought I would simply settle or what just to have a position. Not mad about the gig, just upset my time was wasted. Anyhow, I found out that my current contract position wants to keep me anyhow so everything works out in the end. Just crazy how these companies will offer a job and then act like they never did.
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    coreyb80 wrote: »
    Update: Got the call from the IT Director saying they wanted to go in a different direction now. It was mind boggling how she called me last week to offer me the job then once I told her how much I make she recanted and made me interview with her that following Monday. Mind you, I told her on the initial phone interview how much I make so I'm not sure if she thought I would simply settle or what just to have a position. Not mad about the gig, just upset my time was wasted. Anyhow, I found out that my current contract position wants to keep me anyhow so everything works out in the end. Just crazy how these companies will offer a job and then act like they never did.

They had an amount they can pay, you didn't want to take it, you asked for more, they took someone else they liked slightly less than you for the lower salary. Happens all the time...

As I have mentioned before, there are no feelings for a company hiring. I used to do hiring interviews, and if they wanted more than I was allowed to pay, I went with another candidate. Maybe she could have told you she couldn't go higher, but SHE made the judgement that based on her perception, you were firm and she went someplace else.

You'll get another shot soon.

-scott
    She never even tried to negotiate. She offered me position and then asked me what my salary was and I told her. She back peddled after that convo. I understood your point so no hard feelings and maybe that position wasn't for me.
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    coreyb80 wrote: »
    She never even tried to negotiate. She offered me position and then asked me what my salary was and I told her. She back peddled after that convo. I understood your point so no hard feelings and maybe that position wasn't for me.

Yeah; I mean, it was her position to staff. Maybe she felt you wouldn't bend down to her range, maybe she got cold feet, maybe her perception of you changed after she realized in her mind she could meet you half way.

Either way, I don't think you did anything WRONG, I think sticking to your guns and doing what you did is the right thing.

But job offers are two way street, she has every right to make the decision she made. That's why negotiations and things like this are always a pro/con thing.

-scott
  • SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    IS3 wrote: »

Depends on which city in CA and what type of company (small, medium or large corp). I interviewed a month ago here in L.A. for an entry-level (but still experienced) Help Desk Tier 1 and the IT manager told me the pay was in the low $50K. Company was a large corporation. In contrast, I've seen ads in CL for the same type of position offering $14/hr.