Options

WGU BS in Software Development new program?

techiietechiie Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was looking over the website and realized they have a software developer program. I want to say it has to be fairly new do not see a pdf program guide. From the overview of areas of study looks interesting. Looks alot better then the BSIT software track.

Check it out
Bachelor Degree in Software Development | Online IT Degree

Comments

• Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Wow, that does seem to be a new degree plan. And you're right, it does look alot better than the software track. People may want to pursue this degree instead of the old one.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's definitely new. Neat.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Very interested in this.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    techiietechiie Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks like it could be a good equivalent to a computer science degree.
  • Options
    techiie wrote: »
    Looks like it could be a good equivalent to a computer science degree.

Sure does. I'm anxious to see when they upload the PDF program guide so I can take a look at the individual courses.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Very interesting. I had my weekly mentor call today, and mentioned that I would love to see them introduce a MS in software. He said their priority right now was getting the database BS track back up and running. I wonder why he didn't mention this. I'm gonna drop an email now and if I don't hear anything in a couple days, call him. I'll definitely transfer from IT-Software to this new software track at the end of April, if it's going to be ready by then.
  • Options
    wmdudewmdude Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Found this article: WGU Launches Online Bachelor's Degree Program in Software Development
    "The B.S. in Software Development program is now accepting new enrollees, who may start their coursework on the first day of any month beginning June 1."
  • Options
    milieumilieu Member Posts: 41 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, I love the class list! I'm primarily a software guy, and really, the BSIT-Software is more IT than software. This looks great!
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Carl I thought you had a CS degree.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I would be interested in this but I already completed a BS IT from WGU and I don't think they let you do a second bachelors. Maybe there will be an MS at some point.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Carl I thought you had a CS degree.

Negative, I am a BS IT Software student @ WGU.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sheckler wrote: »
    I would be interested in this but I already completed a BS IT from WGU and I don't think they let you do a second bachelors. Maybe there will be an MS at some point.

That seems odd, to me. Why wouldn't a school let you get a second bachelors degree? It is money in their pocket. Don't get me wrong, I don't doubt what you are saying. I just wonder why they would do so.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    I may be wrong but I think I remember reading you can only do a 2nd one if it's in another college, like a BS Accounting would be ok.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    sheckler wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I think I remember reading you can only do a 2nd one if it's in another college, like a BS Accounting would be ok.

That's what I've heard too. I believe the reasoning is that you aren't getting a degree in "network administration" you are getting a degree in IT with a concentration in NA, so if you wanted another degree from the same college it would just be technically the same degree, twice.
  • Options
    beantownmpbeantownmp Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Emailed my mentor this evening about transferring into this program. Really hope all the useless MTAs & CIW certs are gone and much more theory based classes are offered over th IT-Software track.
  • Options
    CaiyenneCaiyenne Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is fantastic! I'll be keeping an eye on this program as it develops.
  • Options
    backinthe80sbackinthe80s Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bump for any new info on this degree. Why did they remove finite math? Is college algebra really the only math class in the curriculum? Does anyone know what languages will be taught? Java? Maybe python?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    bump for any new info on this degree. Why did they remove finite math? Is college algebra really the only math class in the curriculum? Does anyone know what languages will be taught? Java? Maybe python?

Go to the WGU website and look at the program guide for the degree program you are interested in. It has detailed information about the classes you have to take for each degree and what the class teaches.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    backinthe80sbackinthe80s Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Go to the WGU website and look at the program guide for the degree program you are interested in. It has detailed information about the classes you have to take for each degree and what the class teaches.
    Thanks Captain Obvious but I've done that already. From what I have found out, this is a new course and the program guide was incomplete. I spoke with an enrollment counselor and he was clueless. I, like most others would like to hear from actual students who have taken the first step in the course. The program guide is vague and these forums are a great way to get opinions and advice. WGU is a business and like any other, they will only tell you what helps them to make the sell. Looking at the guide though, this is far from a CS degree lol especially if college algebra and geometry are the main math classes. I'm wondering what an employeer would think when they see "software development" on a degree. The norm is usually CS first, then CIS or MIS.
  • Options
    Thanks Captain Obvious but I've done that already. From what I have found out, this is a new course and the program guide was incomplete. I spoke with an enrollment counselor and he was clueless. I, like most others would like to hear from actual students who have taken the first step in the course. The program guide is vague and these forums are a great way to get opinions and advice. WGU is a business and like any other, they will only tell you what helps them to make the sell. Looking at the guide though, this is far from a CS degree lol especially if college algebra and geometry are the main math classes. I'm wondering what an employeer would think when they see "software development" on a degree. The norm is usually CS first, then CIS or MIS.

I think the first batch of students start the program on September 1. Hopefully someone will chime in and let everyone know how the classes are.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It is a cool degree, I like most of the courses in it! Do it!
  • Options
    selenityhyperionselenityhyperion Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just spoke with an enrollment counselor. She said that the roll is full for October starts and the next start date is November 1... anybody here start theirs yet? I am curious about the program thus far - even if it is only a couple months in!
    Completed: Starting February 1, 2015
    Needed: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, C172, CRV1, C175, C170, TYC1, TYP1, C191, C178, C176, C393, C394, EDV1, TWA1, 3 unkown course numbers
    Transferred: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, CJC1, IWC1, CLC1, IWT1, BNC1, C278, C164, C132 (33)
  • Options
    wahrheitwahrheit Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I start Monday 9/1. I didn't transfer much (21CUs) so I'm starting with the Introduction to IT course (already took the pre-assessment. Received a score 20pts over the cut score, so I'm going to ask to take it at a proctoring center since I don't have a webcam yet). There are some very silly questions in the assessment that are in all honesty wrong, ill-worded and otherwise misleading, but overall it was a decent intro-style test.

From what I can tell by reading through the courses in the degree plan, this is a heavily Java based programming focused degree, with some Python thrown in when you do the first scripting course. Other than that it only really covers HTML, JS, CSS in a very very redumentary web development course. Literally everything else from software engineering, object oriented programming, etc is covered using Java.

All that noted, if I put on my project manager hat from work then I would gladly hire someone who went through this program as a software developer for my team (assuming I had an opening). It covers 85-90% of what I would expect from a degree aspect for a developer/programmer to know; obviously I'm on the business side of things, and we don't really handle "math" heavy development, so this situation may be different on a case-by-case basis depending on development team.

On the plus side I already know Java 1.2-7 (including Spring, Hibernate, J2EE-stuffs, etc) so it'll hopefully mean significant acceleration. I'm waiting on an answer from my mentor on if I can skip the Java Associate exam since I have a 1.2 version of the programmer cert (2004) and am eligible to take the upgrade exam.
    WGU - BS in Software Development (9/1/2014 Start)
    Transferred: BVC1,C278,CJC1,IWC1,TBP1,TCP1,TJC1,TJP1
    Completed: BNC1,BVC1,C175,C182,C278,C393,C394,CJC1,EUC1,EUP1,IWC1,ORA1,TBP1,TCP1,TJC1,TJP1
    Left:C164,C169,C170,C172,C173,C176,C178,C179,C188,C189,C191,C192,C193,C195,C196,C199,CLC1,CRV1,EDV1,IWT1,SBT1,TYC1,TYP1