Options

How will you know you are ready to take the Security + exam?

Moxie1Moxie1 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
How will you know you are ready to take the Security + exam?

Comments

• Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    when u can answer all the questions in the back of the test book. Most people I've seen with decent IT experience can pass the test in a week.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Moxie1,

Review the objectives. If you have the recommended experience and/or can answer the points on the objectives, you are likely ready!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I felt I was ready when I could easily recall and differentiate all the various protocols and ports, attack types, and encryption methods and metrics. Don't forget wireless too!
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Only you know when you are ready. Nobody else can answer that question for you. I know it sounds like worthless advice, but it's true. Buy Darril Gibson's Android/iPhone app for Sec/Net+ (if you don't already have this ebook). Answer those questions before the exam (15mins just to get your mind thinking about IT), then go in and give it your all.
  • Options
    donw35donw35 Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used the Darril's website with exam questions, I used it to test my knowledge of the material and not the question answer memory, that wont help you on this exam. Look at the question and think about how it could be asked differently and do you know it.

memorize your ports, PKI and keys, Types of attacks and who they target, ACL's, Risk and business continuity.

book the exam and prepair. its not that hard so don't get all worked up about it. RELAX
  • Options
    Moxie1Moxie1 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I scheduled the exam for next Tuesday. I am ready. It is always the fear of failing that makes me nervous. :)
  • Options
    bostianzbostianz Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Moxie1 wrote: »
    I scheduled the exam for next Tuesday. I am ready. It is always the fear of failing that makes me nervous. :)

Don't fear failure; learn from it!
  • Options
    glenn126aglenn126a Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck!!!

I took the Security+ on Monday and passed. Don't be shaken by the performance questions when they come up, if you don't completely know the answers, flag it and move on. I used Gibson's book and questions app for iPhone. The security+ exam had some tougher questions compared to Gibson's tests, but again, don't be shaken by it. If you study the material well, you'll be able to knock out at least two possible answers that you know are wrong.
  • Options
    hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    Moxie, honestly, I never felt ready for my Security+ exam. I was a father to a newborn baby, was working on finishing my degree and worked in a demanding job. Basically, I had to get the Security+ cert to keep my job, and secure my promotion (yay!!!).

The real kicker was the baby, as I couldn't get any sleep and she took away a lot of my study time. It took me two months to get ready. Some of my coworkers studied way harder than I did (they had more time), and they said it was the hardest exam they ever took.

I took the exam before I was ready. Like I said, I had a deadline to make. I came out with a 825/900. In all actuality, I felt the exam was easy. Sure, there are people who have higher scores, and I didn't score perfect. But, I knew I had passed before I turned the exam in.

Remember, if you know the material, you should be able to get the answer down to two possibilities. One is more right than the other one. Two of them, you should be able to filter out.

Flag the simulations for last. In my 90 minute exam, I finished the regular questions in 30 minutes, the six simulations took me 30 minutes, and I had 30 minutes to spare.

Your mileage may vary.

Honestly speaking, all the preparation I put myself through was harder than the test. The security+ exam is mostly concept based. The material isn't overly technical, so you should be fine.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP