Options

I test in 2 weeks

TestBotTestBot Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I'm in one of those situations that requires me to get a Sec+ certification but it has very little bearing on my actual job. I have a huge stack of flashcards that my buddy used (he passed) and I've been studding those for about 2 months. I'm looking for more study material but with the limited time I'm not sure where to turn. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    canito487canito487 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, I am not sure I am the best to answer your question because I have not taken the exam yet. But from what I have read here in the forums and from people I have met who have passed the exam, a great majority including myself use Darill Gibson's book for preparation for the exam. Many have passed using solely the book along with supplemental materials such as test preps. So far, I feel pretty good about the book. I have also purchased the android app that goes along with the book for test prep questions. I don't know exactly how much time you have left to study but I would definitely recommend that book because many have used it and passed the exam. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Check out CBT Nuggets and the book mentioned above. The paperback may be 20, but the kindle is only 10! Good luck man!
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    I have the app and its pretty good, similar questions to what is on the flashcards. Ill look into the book as well. Thanks guys!
  • Options
    donw35donw35 Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    the one thing I should have studied/memorized more was Ports, a few questions and performance questions intergrate them and memorizing them would help your confidance.

FTP data port

FTP Control port

SFTP

SSH,SCP

Telnet

SMTP

TACACS /TACACS+

DNS

TFTP

HTTP

Kereros

POP3

NNTP

NETBIOS
    137-139

IMAP

SNMP

SNMP Trap Messages

LDAP

HTTPS

Ipsec (for VPN with IP6)

LDAP/TLS

LDAP/SSL

Layer 2 tunneling Protocal

Point to Point tunneling Protocol

RADIUS Authentication

Terminal Services

Remote Desktop Services

ICQ messanger

Yahoo Messanger

• Options
    its weird some of the ports stick in my head and the other ones I can not memorize for the life of me. Thank you though im printing it out now so I can glance at it throughout the day.
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    Sec+ is the most boring cert u can ever study for......
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Darill Gibson's book is definitely the most digestible book on Security+ that I've come across. I recommend it.

Professor Messer offers free certification courses, including the Security+. Professor Messer's Free CompTIA SY0-301 Security+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training
  • Options
    test is scheduled for the 10th!
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    LordSevink wrote: »
    Darill Gibson's book is definitely the most digestible book on Security+ that I've come across. I recommend it.

Professor Messer offers free certification courses, including the Security+. Professor Messer's Free CompTIA SY0-301 Security+ Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training

I concur. I can actually read the book chapter to chapter without getting bored with the wordy chapters...

I also have the Exam Cram book for Security +; those tear-out sheets really helped with problem area's for the A+ and Net + exams; the Sec + one has the ports on it and you can generally review the tear-out in about 10 minutes. Very helpful!
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Deathmage wrote: »
    I concur. I can actually read the book chapter to chapter without getting bored with the wordy chapters...

I love how he shares his experiences that are relevant to the objectives. It really puts what he's telling us in real-world context and makes it seem more than just information to memorize.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I love how he shares his experiences that are relevant to the objectives. It really puts what he's telling us in real-world context and makes it seem more than just information to memorize.

I concur, I just got done with Chapter 9 and 10 and didn't even realize I spent 2 hours reading them. The chapters just flow so well. It also helps that a majority of the stuff explained in this book I do on a daily basis at work being the Jack-Of-All-Trades IT Manager but understanding what I take for granted and applying it's real-world meaning adds so much to my understanding of things...
  • Options
    I think I'm going to pick up Darill Gibson's book, if at the very least to better understand the concepts.
  • Options
    His book is all you need to pass the exam
  • Options
    randyrandyrandyrandy Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, Darill Gibson's book / website is a great resource. Make sure you know your port numbers and whether they are TCP / UDP! :D
  • Options
    randyrandy wrote: »
    Yeah, Darill Gibson's book / website is a great resource. Make sure you know your port numbers and whether they are TCP / UDP! :D

Especially that...
  • Options
    I was looking at a port list list and some of them are both TCP and UDP, how am I supposed to answer a question that asks that?
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    The numbers of the ports mostly.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    donw35 should I mainly focus on the list you provided?
  • Options
    djentlemetaldjentlemetal Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All I used was Gibson's book and his blog: I passed with an 847 (Come to think of it, I should have made the traditional 'Pass!' thread about it, but I'm a habitual lurker). Ports are important for the sim questions and a few of the regular questions as well. It took me exactly two weeks of studying a chapter a day from the book, and the end-of-chapter quizzes served to really nail down the concepts in my head (this is VERY important: know the what, who, where how and why of each of the concepts for each exam objective). Darril's blog will help you prepare for the sim questions, as well.

The test wasn't easy or hard. Just know your ports, TCP/UDP and get used to the wording of the questions by studying Darill's practice quizzes (they're fairly close to the actual exam) and you'll be just fine!
    AAS - Networking and Cyber Security
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]
  • Options
    djentlemetal Im not sure if you will know but I have his app, is that similar to the practice exams you are referring to?
  • Options
    bostianzbostianz Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Where can I find what ports are exactly TCP/UDP. I notice a lot of them are either.
  • Options
    TestBot wrote: »
    djentlemetal Im not sure if you will know but I have his app, is that similar to the practice exams you are referring to?

Oh yeah! I almost got it myself, but didn't want to overload my brain with too much information (trust me, the book is more than adequate). The app comes with flash cards and practice questions, right? If so, that can't hurt at all in terms of getting you used to how the questions are formed on the actual exam.
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]
  • Options
    @bostianz Many ports are BOTH TCP/UDP because, well, they can use either protocol (connection-oriented vs. connectionless). I believe Darill's book lists the well-known ports and whether they use TCP, UDP or both (Any). Also, you should be able to just google a list of the well-known ports along with the protocols they use. The importance for knowing what protocol each port uses is mostly for the sims themselves (at least in my experience).
  • Options
    bostianzbostianz Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @bostianz Many ports are BOTH TCP/UDP because, well, they can use either protocol (connection-oriented vs. connectionless). I believe Darill's book lists the well-known ports and whether they use TCP, UDP or both (Any). Also, you should be able to just google a list of the well-known ports along with the protocols they use. The importance for knowing what protocol each port uses is mostly for the sims themselves (at least in my experience).

Alright I guess I will look those up. Also one more question, how do you tell whether a certain protocol is being used for UDP or TCP purposes. It may be a straightforward answer, but I must know!
  • Options
    To be honest, for the exam, you don't need to know whether a port is using either TCP or UDP. If they're capable of using both, you would select/type 'Any'. There's really only one section on the exam that deals with this, too.

Edit - Just to clarify my first sentence: of course you need to know what port a protocol uses, but if the protocol can use both then...yeah.
  • Options
    today is the day!!!
  • Options
    Sooooo....what's the haps?
  • Options
  • Options
    CJWelch89CJWelch89 Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations man! What was your pass mark? I'm testing in about a week!
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63