Options

Performance Based Questions

canito487canito487 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am going to be taking my test within two weeks. I am kind of nervous about it because it is my first certification test. Nevertheless, I feel pretty confident because I have read all of Darill's book which I keep reviewing and have been taking the his practice exams from the android app doing pretty well on them; 90-100 range every time. I wanted to know from you guys, what is the best way to prepare for the performance based questions? What test preps have you used? Study materials... etc to be prepare for those types of questions. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It happens getting nervous is normal for your first certification. Being uncertain/unconfident is a different story. In regard to performance based base testing, it varies the questions they will ask. It can range (I can't break the NDA) but they are not horrible questions and their is not any real way to prepare for these types of questions. If I had to guess (since I took mine and encountered no performance based questions) probably command line utilities?
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Canito, I used Darill's book and his practice tests and passed the exax. And the exam wasn't 100 questions, I do remember that. Anyway, I think you'll do just fine! Good luck icon_thumright.gif
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    donw35donw35 Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    use the same recources, i got 5 performance based questions and 74 exam questions, the perfromance based questions where not hard at all and in some the correct answers are easy to spot, line up the answers with the ones you are 100% sure about and the rest will fall into place. they hit me with the performance questions first so expect it.

you will do fine, this is not a hard test and you used good resources, we will see your post "passed" in two weeks
  • Options
    TestBotTestBot Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Me and you are in the same boat canito487!
  • Options
    emazemaz Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I took the test today and passed. The performance based questions aren't all that challenging if you know the material. I too purchased Darill's book and his app. I did very well on the exam. That's all I used. Don't let the word performance based intimidate you. If you know the material and studied they won't be an issue.
  • Options
    canito487canito487 Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Guys I really appreciate your feedback. I guess if I just continue to review the book and do the mock tests on the app and I should be fine. Thanks for your suggestions and confidence. Hopefully I'll be creating an "I Passed" thread soon.
  • Options
    glenn126aglenn126a Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The performance based questions aren't hard. It's basically just a different way of inputting your answers. Like you, I used Gibson's book and his questions app to study for the security+ exam and passed easily.

Remember to flag and move on if you aren't quite sure what the answer is. I remember flagging almost 20 questions. Don't be surprised if you ended up flagging many, just be calm and eliminate obvious wrong answers
  • Options
    KatiushaKatiusha Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree that performance-based questions are not difficult, just different format.
    I also read D. Gibson's book, found it very helpful. I have to admit that some questions on the exam were very technical and I didn't think that book covered them in full. However, in your case, you already have Network+ so it should be much easier for you since you know a lot about networks.
    Good luck on the exam!
  • Options
    hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    I passed with an 825 on Friday. I flagged all the performance questions for last. I made it through the normal multiple choice questions in like 30 minutes, and left myself an hour to do the six performance based questions. It took me 30 minutes on those six. Your mileage may vary. All in all, I wouldn't lose sleep on the performance based questions. Just know your material.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For the firewall sim, do you need to know the CIRD format/mask when entering IP addresses? 192.0.0.1/32, 192.0.0.256/24 etc.?
  • Options
    SharkbaitSharkbait Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    hannism - I should have considered flagging my performance questions too. It ended up taking me about 45 minutes to go through mine, then I jumped right into the quesitons. When I looked up at the clock, I noticed I had about 30 minutes left to complete 35 questions. At that point, I started getting a little anxious. But I finished with about 5 minutes to spare. I was even able to look back at a couple of questionable answers I gave. It all turned out good.

Chameleon - I would answer "Yes" to your question. I never had to actually calculate the format/mask from scratch, but knowing how it's done made my choices a lot easier to make.

-Sharkbait-
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Actually I did look it up again to remind myself before going down there. I can't say you don't need to know the format at all. Better to know than not know I guess.

Sharkbait wrote: »

Chameleon - I would answer "Yes" to your question. I never had to actually calculate the format/mask from scratch, but knowing how it's done made my choices a lot easier to make.

-Sharkbait-
  • Options
    Hunter85Hunter85 Member Posts: 60 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hey when you are saying performance based questions are you refering to interactive questions? Like simulations? or they have simulations and performance based questions?
  • Options
    captaincrunchy6captaincrunchy6 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sims will be drag and drop, I just passed today. I got 74 questions in total and the Sims for me.we're the easiest part. Study known ports and whether they use tcp/udp or both and types of computer security you'll be fine. As posted earlier process of elimination will help a lot. Easy to get rid of all the definite wrong answers and just 're read to verify what remaining option is the best answer. Good luck
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    reading these posts makes it so much easier to go into the exam. I've only read darril's book and been scoring 96 to 100% on his app tests and I feel I know the material now.

I also purshased his audio files and performance-based review from his website. It's a bit boring but listening to the audio for the 50 minute drive home really help to sink in the concepts. I'm finding also I'm getting to the point that when i get answer wrong it's when I change my choice that I did with my gut instincts.

just going to keep studying and reviewing my ports/protocols which I know by heart now.
  • Options
    donw35donw35 Member Posts: 78 ■■■□□□□□□□
    just make sure you know your ports and TCP/UDP, its not hard and the answers is right in front of you.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    thanks for the pointers. I'll give the udp/tcp info for ports more study.