Options

Technical Skills - which is preferable

ITcognitoITcognito Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
When writing your technical skills on a resume, which of the two styles is better:

A)
• Operating Systems: Windows Server 2008/2012, Windows XP/7/8, RHEL/CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSUSE
• Networking: Routing, Switching, Wireless, Cisco IOS, VPNs, Firewalls
• Databases: MySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle
• Programming: Perl, Python, Bash

or

B)
• Deeply familiar with Windows Server 2003/2008/2012 and Linux including RHEL, Debian, and OpenSUSE
• Knowledgeable about networking protocols, Cisco routing, switching, and wireless
• Experience with a variety of RDBMS
• Able to script in Bash, Perl, Powershell, and Python

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When reviewing resumes, I prefer A.

On a side note, look at your first line in B. took me a minute figure out why you had March 8, 2012 listed.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    ITcognitoITcognito Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    When reviewing resumes, I prefer A.

On a side note, look at your first line in B. took me a minute figure out why you had March 8, 2012 listed.

Ahaha good catch
  • Options
    yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I asked the same some time ago.

Your skills section must be in the A style for a faster idea about what you know.

Then you can expand as in B in the job section.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would wonder what it is you know about Operating systems for example .. You say 2008 / 2012 .. is it installing the base OS ? Active Directory in multiple sites ? Migration from a multi site, multi forest AD environment from 2008 to 2012 ? Linux OS' - what is it you know about it ? Everything ? How to install it ? Can you configure everything from simple workstation to ISCSI, NFS, Proxy, Mail, database ?

Databases - SQL and Oracle - you are DBA for both ? You should earn a heck of a lot :p

Networking - do you know concepts, designs, configurations, troubleshooting ?

Different countries, different requirements I guess, but either section is really vague in my opinion ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I prefer someone leaves a technical skills section off. It's just a bunch of buzz words that eats up space you can better use to tell me how you worked with these technologies. A wall of words with no context means nothing. Anyone can list every technology under the sun.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mdominomdomino Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I prefer someone leaves a technical skills section off. It's just a bunch of buzz words that eats up space you can better use to tell me how you worked with these technologies. A wall of words with no context means nothing. Anyone can list every technology under the sun.

I've got an acronym salad at the bottom of my resume to get through the HR filter. The people who know what they're reading may not think it's necessary but if you don't pass the automated filters then it's going straight into the black hole anyway. It's an unfortunate reality of our current employment climate.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you must put in your acronyms then put it in your experience section and show what you actually did with it. I don't use a wall of crap on mine and it's never been an issue getting through any kind of filter.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    I tried both approaches, without and with skills listed. From my experience, the resume's with the skills listed received a lot more callbacks, specially from recruiters, than without. YMMV.