Coursera offering specialization certificate in Cyber Security, any value?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
So with online learning starting to become the online rage, I found Coursera the other day.

Looking around, looks like they have some neat content, however I found a specialization track for Cyber Security from University of Maryland here.

Just wanting to get other's opinions if this type of cert would have an affect on their career and open any doors if they were to sign up for these series of courses. The are not free, they are $49, which are affordable in my mind.
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i think they are they are courses from reputable colleges/Universities i signed up for the SDN course
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    dsgm wrote: »
    i think they are they are courses from reputable colleges/Universities i signed up for the SDN course

Not able to find this course, url?
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Paul6Paul6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Always value in free education that aligns with your career and goals.
    N2IT wrote: »
    Always value in free education that aligns with your career and goals.

My goals are to continue to grow my knowledge and skills and advance my career.

-unknown
  • JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    I think Courseera has a deal with LinkedIn so that you can link your completed coursework to your profile. I don't know if this has been implemented yet though.

I love MOOCs. I still haven't taken one yet, but I plan on taking advantage of the Linux course being offered on edX this summer. My goal is Linux+.
    LordSevink wrote: »
    I think Courseera has a deal with LinkedIn so that you can link your completed coursework to your profile. I don't know if this has been implemented yet though.

I love MOOCs. I still haven't taken one yet, but I plan on taking advantage of the Linux course being offered on edX this summer. My goal is Linux+.

I asked some questions, I will post what I find here.

Yes, looking forward to the edX for Linux this summer, and I signedup for he Cryptography course for the month of April and will post feedback here.

-unknown
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jock I think so. I took the Penn State Operational Management course and learned a lot. It was semi academic but was more focused on learning the applicable concepts not just getting a grade.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting. I may pursue this in the future.