Options

WGU: Business ITM vs IT tracks

ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
Looking for some opinions on a decision i'm trying to make. I'm about a year away from starting WGU, so i'm planning to take care of some additional courses before starting. To determine which courses, i'm trying to decide between the Business Information Technology Management track or the IT Network Design and Management track.

My education background includes a couple of years as a Chemistry major, followed by an AS in IT, then some business classes, and then some unrelated Homeland Security classes. From the transfer guides it looks like I have meet a lot of the Gen Ed requirements and have a good start on the business and IT requirements. If I go the business route, I need more business courses and if I go the IT route I need the CIWs (foundations, web design, and javascript). Personally, I am more interested in the business classes and feel they will be more useful to me then the CIWs.

I'm a Windows Systems Admin / Engineer with a background in Windows, Exchange, Citrix XenApp, VMWare ESXi / vCenter, and starting into storage. My current position is heavy Sys Admin with a decent amount of management and security.

1. If I want to go into the management career path, will having an IT degree hurt me?
2. If I want to go deeper into the tech career path, will having a business degree hurt me?
3. If they both have a negative impact, which do you feel is greater?
4. I eventually want a Masters in IT/IS. Which will increase my chances of getting accepted into a program? (Not considering WGU's at this time, maybe DSU)

Thanks
Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete