Options

Want some help in looking for work (Help desk or similar)...

XiaoTechXiaoTech Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
Recently I started working at Geek Squad a few months ago and I feel I am not as good as I should be at my job. My boss and coworkers are great and patient with me, but I feel the patience will only last so long. The job in itself is simple. People bring in their computers, normally filled with malware, I see if there are any quick fixes I can do, and if not, check it in to remove the malware/bloatware/etc. But the documentation they have for each device is ridiculous! There are almost ten pages with of forms to fill out, and 90% of fields are required.

At first I missed stuff because they trained me to write these vague notes. I've since threw that advice away and wright detailed notes instead of acronyms that make no sense. That has helped. But sometimes I'll miss something when checking the computer. Whether it's an obscure maleware I could have removed myself instead of checking it in, or something simple that really isn't obvious if I had a few minutes to look at it without someone hovering me. I'm not sure if they're being nice and trying to make me feel worthless, or if I'm genuinely overlooking too many small details. If someone brought in the computer and told me their problem, I normally know what it is (malware/possible hardware failure/etc). If I could take it and look at it ALONE for five to ten minutes, I could probably fix it easily, but I don't have that luxury.

I was pretty decent at a help desk I worked at before this. I was consistently one of the top five in solving tickets, even beating out techs who were there for years. But at my current place of employment, I feel super slow. There's too much stimuli and I feel exhausted after two or three hours.

I really want to do decently at this job to get a good reference, but it doesn't seem to be going that way. Any suggestions on what I could do to be better and/or get out of there faster? It's only part-time. I have a lot of time to self study, but I find myself researching on what to do instead of studying something that can be used! I have a BA and one year help desk experience, plus CompTIA A+. And I'm looking for work in the Cleveland area. I've tried applying, and normally with recruiters they ask me "Do you have AD experience? Do you have high level Excel experience? Do you have networking experience in an enterprise environment?"...I don't and that's where the conversations seem to end.

If anyone looks at my history, you can see that there was a time when I worked at a HD and I had issues with myself. I no longer have those issues, and I want to work and be good at what I do now. I've looked into WGU for certs, and I'm approved for financial aid...BUT...if I can get by on maybe investing on a few certs myself, I think that might be more cost effective for me. I don't really need another degree. I need experience, maybe certs, and most importantly...an opportunity! Too many choices, would like some feedback!

Comments

• Options
    ZomboidicusZomboidicus Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Having worked at a Geek Squad before, I know where you are coming from. It is definitely a fast-paced environment, and the culture of it is all capitalistic. It's all about getting that $200 from Tech Support subscription. When I was working there, I had the luxury of taking a look at a computer for 5 - 10 minutes (I wonder if you work in a busier area.) When I made the transition to an actual help desk later on, I was suprised at the pace difference. All I can say about Geek Squad is don't be afraid to take your time, chill, and make sure it is done right the first time. If you can't figure out what's wrong with it, just tell people to take it or leave it. You can't save everybody's computer. Stick with it for now while you work on certs or education.

As far as help desk job search goes, maybe you can do some self-study. If you got an extra desktop, put VMware ESXi and load Windows server on it. Or if you have a computer fast enough, load with VirtualBox or VMware player. You can get some AD experience from that.

If you are planning on doing WGU, maybe you can pick up a internship for these "enterprise environments" during the day. It may lead to a help desk job, or it'll be a good for your resume for better things.
    2016 Certification Goals: Who knows :D
  • Options
    jabokimjabokim Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For help desk, try support.com. You get to work from home too. I just had an interview with them yesterday, still waiting to see if I'm hired or not
  • Options
    My Other SelfMy Other Self Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I could be wrong, but isn't a help desk position above Geek Squad? How did you already have a HD job but wind up scraping the bottom of the barrel?

I wish you the best. I'm trying to get a HD job myself. It's not easy.
  • Options
    Most of my experience is with Mobile Device Management like BES, BAS, Airwatch, etc for BlackBerry, iPhone, etc. as opposed to normal computer work. Whenever I get to the call phase, most recruiters seem more interested in my experience in supporting computer stuff, and they can't seem to comprehend how my past experience is relevant. I'm not sure if I'm just not selling myself well in interviews.
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    XiaoTech wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I'm just not selling myself well in interviews.
    I would estimate it has more to do with this, yes.

Also, I agree with My Other Self's line of thought in that this is a demotion from HD. The first item I thought while reading this was, "Why did this guy leave HD for Geek Squad??" but whatever the circumstance I would try to sell myself better in interviews. You have a Bachelor's degree and a year in HD. You should be moving out of HD now and onto bigger and better things, not making a U-turn.
  • Options
    I almost had a job with Apple At Home support. Made it to the third interview stage, but got rejected after that. So I know I can get interviews and pass through the fluff of the initial phone questions. I think I need to look into some interviewing resources around here. I'm missing something...
  • Options
    XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    Keep trying! One failed attempt is just... one failed attempt and the more interviews you go to, the better you will get at it.