Options

Second Round Interview Today!

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey All,

I had an interview last week with a large pipeline construction company, the initial role is just a helpdesk grunt but they were very particular on having fairly extensive network and server knowledge as this position is going to be moving on to helping expand the companies IT infrastructure as a whole. The first interview went very well, the interviewer actually opted not to move forward with the barrage of technical questions because, and I quote “most people that I interview are bull sh**ers and I can tell that you are not one of them”.

The interview is going to be with the CFO of the company and the IT manager, my guess is this is going to be where we iron out the salary. I am asking for $45,000 and have already stated that is firm. I am trying an upfront approach rather than this cat and mouse game where I go high and they go low. I have already stated that I am not willing to leave my job for less than the amount stated. With this being my first second round interview, is there anything that I can expect or do to better prepare myself? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like a promising opportunity, I would stick firm to your salary requirement since their interest is obvious. Good luck!
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Good luck!!icon_lol.gif
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats and sounds like you are on your way!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds great, good luck! If you've been clear and firm with them regarding your salary requirements, I doubt they would waste their time with a second interview (especially involving the CFO) unless it was within their budget for the position.
  • Options
    jobes23jobes23 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am going to agree with RHEL. One has to think, that for the CFO time is money and why waste money. Good Luck with your second interview!
    Course Taking: Start 9/1
    Courses Done: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, C172, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Left: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, TJC1, TJP1, C175, C170, TYP1, TYC1, CJC1, C191, C178, C176, CLC1, C179, EDV1, BNC1, C195, UBC1, C278, EAV1, EBV1
  • Options
    Thanks All!

I think things went well, they really put the screws to me this round, they brought out the big guns asking for examples, weaknesses, strengths etc. It was pretty obvious that there was some stress testing going on. There were subtle cues that told me that they liked me but I can’t be sure until I get the call back

If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    Well I got the call back today that nobody wants to get, I was passed up for another candidate. I really thought I had this one. I must be honest this was a real blow to my confidence. I sent the interviewer an email in good (tact of course), thanking him and his colleagues for their time and asking for insight on what I could have done differently or could do differently in the future to help my odds of being selected for the position. Up until that point I had been working through a recruiter and hadn’t contacted him directly but he did give me his card and did tell me to contact him if I had any questions so I feel it was in good taste. I am really hoping for an honest response so I can use this as a learning experience. Time to hit the pavement!
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    That's bad to hear but you did the right thing. Think of this as a learning experience and keep moving forward! With that last email on top, you likely made a very good impression so if you end up applying at the same company later, your chances will probably be better right off the bat. Good luck on the next one, don't get discouraged. Everyone goes through this.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Keep on applying and keep learning from these tough situations. As Master of Puppets said, this happens to everyone, so DO NOT be discouraged. Keep on learning, and use this opportunity to get better at those areas in your technical skills and your interviewing skills that need to be improved upon, and to land the next opportunity that comes your way.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I know that feeling. Hang in there!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    OcarusOcarus Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Shake it off, consider yourself lucky. Best of luck to you.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It happens to the best of us. No need to hang your head. Take it as a life lesson and hit the pavement running as you stated.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    tier~tier~ Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's a tough break but no worries. Like you said, hit the pavement and keep on moving. If anything, you're in good standing with this company as well which is always a plus. Somehow, people in IT always cross paths down the road.

Best of luck going forward!
    Let's Connect!
    LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog