Options

When multiple recruiters contact about the same job opportunity

blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
I have been contacted by 3 different recruiters over the past week regarding what I highly suspect is the same position at a particular company. It is a position in which I am interested in at least discussing. I have asked questions back and forth to a couple of them but haven't agreed to a call/interview yet. How should I select which one I speak with? Just go with the firm with the best reputation? I'm assuming speaking to more than one about the same job is bad form.

Yeah, I guess this is kind of a weird question, but I didn't remember it being discussed here.

Thanks.
IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
Working on: RHCE/Ansible
Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...

Comments

• Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Go with the best pay.

Seriously, $$$.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    jobes23jobes23 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If it is truly the same position, see what they are offering and go with the best pay as darkerz said.
    Course Taking: Start 9/1
    Courses Done: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, C172, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Left: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, TJC1, TJP1, C175, C170, TYP1, TYC1, CJC1, C191, C178, C176, CLC1, C179, EDV1, BNC1, C195, UBC1, C278, EAV1, EBV1
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    blargoe wrote: »
    I'm assuming speaking to more than one about the same job is bad form.

I have had companies tell me that if the same person is presented by more than one recruiter they will immediately drop them. I believe this has something to do with the contracts/fees and such.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If this is a permanent hire position the money is probably no different between the recruiters. If that is the case I would ask them about their familiarity with the company. Have they placed people with this particular manager before? See what their relationship is with the company. Someone coming from one of their trusted recruiters is surely to get to the front of the resume pile.
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    I have had companies tell me that if the same person is presented by more than one recruiter they will immediately drop them. I believe this has something to do with the contracts/fees and such.

I think the recruiters are the one that spread this to keep you from talking to other people. I don't think an employer would throw out a perfectly good candidate just because two copies of the resume came across their desk.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    I have had it happen a few times recently. I have one group where multiple people will call me from the same company. I think they are in a call center overseas. I try to pick a group that I know something about. The recuiter has to represent you to the company, and the company may not want to deal with the guy that offers you more. If the group is local to the company they may have a pre existing relationship. That will help get the real story about what the job. I have been trying local or well known recruiters.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One of them told me it was perm, the other said contract to hire. Maybe it is two different positions, but being in a smaller market and the specific similarities between the two postings, I think it's unlikely, but who knows. I haven't had time to really talk to either one.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...