Options

Question: Frame relay and layer 2 Switching NM's

SuperviscoSupervisco Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have access to three routers, 2X2610's and one 2611. All of them have empty network module slots. I have a small budget to complete the lab. Will it be possible to do frame relay and layer 2 switching on these three without buying another router and what would be the best options in terms of one or two more network modules to consider to achieve the CCNA objectives. If possible. What direction should I look in the long term as I will definitely continue beyond the CCNA at least to professional level.

Comments

• Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 2610/11s have 3 serial interfaces, don't they? It sounds like you have more than enough to set up a small frame relay network.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nope their modular,get two WIC-1T and a WIC-2T, this will provide you with 3 serial interfaces to connect all 3 routers.Also you will need two db60 to
    SmartSerial cables aswell.This will also allow a basic FR setup!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Sorry, maybe I was not specific enough. I have

2611 1 Serial(WIC 2T), 2 Ethernet
    2610 1 Serial(WIC 1T), 1 Ethernet,
    2610 1 Serial(WIC 1T), 1 Ethernet, WIC 1B S/T(ISDN BRI)
    and one loose BRI 4B-S/T.

OK I can see now how to go with the frame relay, but do I still need a 2950 for switching or is there a way of doing it with a network module and which one's can I consider. Also if I look at frame relay in the long run will it be possible to extend possibilities with a network module.
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can do some dot1q encapsulation on the router ethernet interfaces so you can do router on a stick. You can also set up BVI interfaces (IRB) to do layer two switching on the all of your different ports. You will not get any of the advanced switching features unless you move to a device that has dedicated switching support.

Cisco documentation says that the 2600 series routers can support the nm-16esw (16 port fast ethernet module). All of the 2600 routers that I work with are XM models so I cannot verify that the 16esw will work on a classic 2610 or 2611. It would definitely be cheaper to get a 2950 than it would be to get an nm-16esw module.
  • Options
    Loud and clear, over and out. Thx!