Options

Do you lab on your home VM at work?

NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
And if so, how are you accessing your VMs from your job?
O
/|\
/ \

Comments

• Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    VM? I can use my entire rack from work.

I use SSH into my router (Tomato) using certificates, then use port tunneling in Putty to get around my home network.

Once in I can WOL my Desktop PC which has USB control over the power sockets to my rack, just fire them up, shutdown my desktop then reverse that procedure when I am done.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 for what gorebrush said. I do the exact same thing to connect. Except once I'm in my network I SSH/Telnet over to my console server that is connected to each one of my routers/switches.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yep, I VPN into my home network and from there have IP PDUs to turn devices on and off, a terminal server for CLI access, and servers with remote management capabilities (CIMC) so that I can power on and off ESX hosts.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tell me more about the IP PDUs guys. :)
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I take it one step further, and run Team Viewer at my VMware labbing laptop at home, and remote into that from work to lab a bit when I get downtime. Which means I lab about 5 minutes a week at work :)
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JustFred wrote: »
    Tell me more about the IP PDUs guys. :)

I'm using a couple of APC 7901s that I got used off eBay. You can connect to them via the embedded web server or telnet and turn outlets on and off remotely.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    If someone could link me to some how-to's/tutorials for this it would be appreciated.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pitviper wrote: »
    I'm using a couple of APC 7901s that I got used off eBay. You can connect to them via the embedded web server or telnet and turn outlets on and off remotely.

Pure awesomeness. Any tutorials out there for setting this up?

Off to check E-bay Yurop. LoL (I'm laughing because chances are we don't have them IP PDUs in Europe or if we do, i'm going to have to offer my limb to the seller due to higher taxes :) )
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    praminpramin Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ande0255 wrote: »
    I take it one step further, and run Team Viewer at my VMware labbing laptop at home, and remote into that from work to lab a bit when I get downtime. Which means I lab about 5 minutes a week at work :)

I use Teamviewer myself on all PC's and laptops I need connection to. :)
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I'm at work, I don't access my lab since I'm ...well... working... But if I am on vacation or traveling on business, I use logmein to a VM jumpbox on my network if I need to fix something for the family or work on something personal. I am actually in the process of setting up an OpenVPN endpoint on some old appliances that I have.
  • Options
    tycar86tycar86 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    which has USB control over the power sockets to my rack.

What hardware are you using for this?
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Yes TeamViewer is a glorious, glorious program icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    I will now, I just upgraded my home router to DD-WRT. Now I am able to VPN into home router, which is connected to the lab via Ethernet. I remoted into work, created the VPN connection, and verified I am able to telnet into the Cisco equipment, and remote into the vSphere environment.

Sometimes it is the small things that bring joy to our lives!
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • Options
    NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    SSH into a dedicated raspberry pi (port forwarded from my home router) that I have running my WoL script (scapy). Then I tap into whatever I need. If I want remote desktop...I just use the Google Chrome Remote Desktop (very easy to use...and no port forwarding required). And most of my terminal and http services are port forwarded (at least the one's I want publicly accessible).
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I have an IPSEC VPN from my PA-200 to our office. I have a separate lab network on a separate interface that my boss is kind enough to route connection from our office across the tunnel which are then virtual routed by the firewall to that lab network. This allows me to firewall off my home lab network but still work on things on that /21 anytime I want. I also have an SSL VPN that **** me right into that network if I want to connect back to my house. Pretty sick, actually.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We're blocking outbound VPN, SSH, and have web filtering blocking access to cloud providers. So I will not be accessing any personal VM's from the office. If I implemented SSL VPN at my house it might could get around it, but it isn't worth the trouble and the risk if I get caught.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    tycar86 wrote: »
    What hardware are you using for this?

Energenie USB power sockets

They even do network ones, which I kinda wanted to hold out for but they were double the price - the USB ones are sufficient.
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    We're blocking outbound VPN, SSH, and have web filtering blocking access to cloud providers. So I will not be accessing any personal VM's from the office. If I implemented SSL VPN at my house it might could get around it, but it isn't worth the trouble and the risk if I get caught.

Our network blocks outbound port 22, so I just connect on a different port. They don't drop SSH traffic though, just the well known port number. /shrug.