70-417, and then what?

EspiOneEspiOne Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just sat for my first 70-640 exam, failed miserably. I have a second shot, and expect to test again in two weeks. I do not feel confident about it, but I will give it another try. I just caught wind of the second shots in FEB, so I figured I would take the challenge of getting my Server 2008 MCSA and purchased 3 vouchers. Not an easy challenge. I have reviewed over the last two months 70-640 and then failed. I am looking to test for 70-642, (so reviewing both 640/642), if I pass the 640, at least with a 700. But if I do not pass, I am looking to sit for the 70-417, but that leaves me with one voucher. With time being a issue, I am putting in about 4-6 hours a day on studying, plural sight videos in the morning, during my lunch hour, and reading material in the evening.

I can sit for the 70-417 4 times if needed. Any good method to study for the70-417?

And then where do I go??

Comments

• lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    The 70-417 is an upgrade exam. It's largely a moot point unless you get the MCSA Server 2008.
  • EspiOneEspiOne Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed 70-686, Windows 7 Enterprise Administrator, May 2013. I thought this qualified me to take the 70-417. but if it is MCSA Server 2008, yeah, your right, moot point.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    As long as you have the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 you can upgrade to the MCSA 2012. I always thought it was strange that you could upgrade a desktop cert to server, but it is allowed.

This exam is intended for IT professionals who want to validate the skills and knowledge necessary to implement the Windows Server 2012 core infrastructure services. Candidates have already earned the MCSA: Windows Server 2008 certification or one of the following MCITP certifications: Virtualization Administrator on Windows Server 2008 R2, Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010, Lync Server Administrator 2010, SharePoint Administrator 2010, or Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7.

Upgrade Your MCITP or MCSA to Windows Server 2012 with this FREE Certification Exam Study Guide for Exam 70-417 - KeithMayer.com - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

WGU grad
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Yes, apologies @EspiOne. I didn't see you had the Win7 MCSA, which you can upgrade with the 70-417.

You were asking about the Server 2008 series so I assumed that's what you were referencing the 70-417 for.
    As long as you have the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 you can upgrade to the MCSA 2012. I always thought it was strange that you could upgrade a desktop cert to server, but it is allowed.

I would agree, that is strange, one of the reason, I went for that cert was because of the upgrade path, I think the logic is the administrative aspects of this cert gives you a familiarity with Server 2008 and that opens the door for 2012. The knowledge is not full blow server, I mean, after the courses I took and all the labs, you really "do not" get a full range of skills for installing, managing, maintaining a server, but the knowledge of how to use a server to install, manage, maintain client OSes. Although, I had to build my whole VM network from scratch, AD, WSUS, DEPLOY, FILE servers and about 8 Client machines.

I think, if I move that route, I will be able to obtain enough knowledge to pass, I took the 70-686, 3 times, failing with high 600s and finally passing with a low 800.

It is funny, but I have seen more and more server involvement in OS client exams since Vista, my XP Desktop Exams, focus on Desktop Support mainly.
    Windows 8, 70-689, I saw a lot of server involvement, cloud involvement, I feel my knowledge from 70-686 helped more with 70-689, then 70-680/685.

What do you all think, based on my background, Desktop or Server infrastructure for 2012. ?
    lsud00d wrote: »
    Yes, apologies @EspiOne. I didn't see you had the Win7 MCSA, which you can upgrade with the 70-417.

You were asking about the Server 2008 series so I assumed that's what you were referencing the 70-417 for.

No problem, understandable.
    I am taking my 70-640 on Wednesday, but after reviewing this weekend, I don't feel very confident. I will take it, since I have the second shot for this exam. But I think I will be moving to 2012 on my next exam, 70-417. With my vouchers expiring on May 31st, I would be looking to take this exam at the beginning of May and test over again until May 31st. What is the retest policy time line for exams??
    oh, shoots, I have to take the 1st exam quickly, I have 24 hours, if I fail and then 14 days after that, which mean, going back from May 31st, Final take, I would need to take it on or before May 15th, and before that April 30th to May 2nd. After 5th fail, 12 months. Shoot, my 6 month plan to get Server 2008 MCSA really blew up in my face. Good waste of $400. I think I might just push forward with 642 and 646. If I try the 70-417, I may loose my chances to take it for a whole year.

I guess this is to keep people from getting the exam questions for other means.