Options

Is it normal for gns3 to take up so much CPU itlization?

gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
It is my first time using GNS3, been a long time packet tracer user (some commands dont seem supported) and gns3 seems to bog down my computer, close to 100% cpu utilization while running gns3

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    There are multiple threads about this, you need to configure it after installing and then it won't do that.

example - GNS3 • View topic - CPU 100% even after calculating correct idlepc value
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    I seem to have fixed it for now from here, there really should be a sticky for this

(Creating the Simplest Topology - GNS3)
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's in the official instructions on GNS3 website
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    If it's the CPU then the IDLEPC needs to be set.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    sometimes you have to calculate the idle pc value several times. best practise from my ecperience is to run some show commands on the router and then calculate the value.
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    I only wanted to use gns3 because i couldn't use some vlan commands, after I used the 3560 multilayer switch in packet tracer I was able to do vlan, I love packet tracer.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Packet Tracer is a great tool. It is especially helpful when you are just learning about routing as the simulation mode lets you see things travel the network.
    GNS 3 will work better with advanced features that are not programmed into Packet Tracer.