Options

Question about VPN

ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
Lets say if i connect to my company's cisco ASA firewall via remote access VPN. Am i using their ISP connection? For example we have 100/10 mbps line and i have 15/5 mbps line for my home connection. Am i going to be getting 100/10 mbps throughput?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Well, obviously your home connection is going to dictate how much data up/down regardless of VPN or not. As far as where you internet traffic will go depends on the configuration of the VPN. Look into the concept of split tunneling.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    ClapDemCheeksClapDemCheeks Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, obviously your home connection is going to dictate how much data up/down regardless of VPN or not. As far as where you internet traffic will go depends on the configuration of the VPN. Look into the concept of split tunneling.

I know that with split tunnel traffic destined for the internet is routed from your home router and traffic specified in the VPN configuration is destined to the VPN gateway.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Ok, so you know either way traffic has to flow over your home connection right? All traffic will be limited to what you have their.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    vasyvasyvasyvasy Member Posts: 68 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The bandwidth for any of your connections (via the VPN or not) is limited by your home connection to the 15/5 mbps
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    You also have to consider the firewall VPN throughput, which is probably faster than your 15/5 connection, but when you start talking about multiple VPN sessions your share of the throughput will be divided accordingly.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well if you start accessing the internet through the VPN then you would certainly receive 100Mb down to the company end of the VPN, but you'll still only get 15Mb to your house.

Besides, you'd also be logged by any corporate internet logs too...