Passed 70-412 R2

jsojso Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm not quite sure how. There are a lot of bizarre questions on this test. I was really worried that the first 10 or so were non stop ADFS, considering how it had been gutted compared to the non R2 spec. There was also a question about stopped services and IPAM and none of them were correct as IPAM now can operate on SQL server. Work folders also popped up. Very little from topic 2. Finally, to top it off, one of the questions said 'see exhibit' and it brought up a weird file not found error.

My advice is possibly drawing up a big list of terms and aligning them to the relevant topics. Eg - affinity is that fail over clustering, VM replication, network load balancing or DHCP fail over. That will help you eliminate the wrong answers that sound good.

I'm a bit over some aspects of MS' testing system. Eg, select and place with 5 options, how is that scored? Is that worth 5 multiple chloices? What happens if I put it 5-1-2-3-4 instead of 1-2-3-4-5, do I score points?

Not sure on what MS I'm going to study next. Any thoughts on private cloud?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • ayubjonayubjon Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!
    I wish I could pass it as soon as possible.
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First congrats -
    Second - Private Cloud is the next set of certs my company wants me to get. It is the way the industry is moving so it makes sense. I may be a rebel for a bit and go the desktop infrastructure route just because I feel I am pretty familiar with it first.

Congrats again and good luck!
  • pistolpete31pistolpete31 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, MCSE next? Just wondering what you used for resources? Just starting to get into studying for mcsa
  • jsojso Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, MCSE next? Just wondering what you used for resources? Just starting to get into studying for mcsa

CBT nuggets are pretty good. Just be aware, that there is a very big difference in the teaching style between 410/411 (Conrad) & 412 (Warner). I liked aspects of Warners soup-to-nuts approach. But he does spend too much time telling you things already covered in 410 & 411 or plugging other courses. There is so much material in the course, he could easily have slowed down and doubled the number of videos. Train Signal seemed to take a more logical approach (Fail over cluster before or after iscsi).

I’ve also bought the book (Exam Ref 70-412 R2). It has a lot of very good tips, but again could be more detailed, especially in some of the new R2 features, which are little more than a paragraph rather than an in depth walk through.

If you struggle with 70-410, move onto 70-411. There is a lot of stuff in 70-411 that will help you understand with 70-410.
  • EgotisticEgotistic Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey man, congrats! You think watching CBT nuggets is enough? I already have previous knowledge of MCSA pre r2.
    If you think you are skilled at answering microsoft questions, then CBT nuggets wont be necessary. On the other hand if you get 4 cryptic powershell commands and dont know how to pick the right answer, then you might need their help.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jso wrote: »
    CBT nuggets are pretty good. Just be aware, that there is a very big difference in the teaching style between 410/411 (Conrad) & 412 (Warner). I liked aspects of Warners soup-to-nuts approach. But he does spend too much time telling you things already covered in 410 & 411 or plugging other courses. There is so much material in the course, he could easily have slowed down and doubled the number of videos. Train Signal seemed to take a more logical approach (Fail over cluster before or after iscsi).

I’ve also bought the book (Exam Ref 70-412 R2). It has a lot of very good tips, but again could be more detailed, especially in some of the new R2 features, which are little more than a paragraph rather than an in depth walk through.

If you struggle with 70-410, move onto 70-411. There is a lot of stuff in 70-411 that will help you understand with 70-410.
    I'm yet to book my 2nd shot for 410 but the thought of starting on 411 material is a bit overwhelming though I think I may have to do it and then hopefully I can get both exams done in short time.
    pjd007 wrote: »
    I'm yet to book my 2nd shot for 410 but the thought of starting on 411 material is a bit overwhelming though I think I may have to do it and then hopefully I can get both exams done in short time.

Don't think of it as having two whole exams at once, just find the topics in common that you aren't strong on, and see if the 70-411 helps you with a better explanation or failing that, just more practice on the topic.
  • PleharPlehar Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • pandiculatorpandiculator Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jso wrote: »
    I'm a bit over some aspects of MS' testing system. Eg, select and place with 5 options, how is that scored? Is that worth 5 multiple chloices? What happens if I put it 5-1-2-3-4 instead of 1-2-3-4-5, do I score points?

Congratulations on your pass.

Unless otherwise stated each questions scores 1 point, your raw score is then translated into a final score. Liberty Munson recently did a write-up on MS scoring. To say it's complex is an understatement.

Born to Learn: Demystifying Exam Scores