Options

Few Questions

blackcloudblackcloud Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have an exam setting up a simple network in packet tracer and need to carry out some specifications for it. Some I have figured out but there is a few others I am not quite too sure about. Can someone point me in the right direction so I can research them and learn them

Add subnetworks
Web server needs to be accessed from all devices

I understand what they are but not sure what they entail?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not really much info for us to work with, but I assume 'Add subnetworks' means to break your addressing scheme in subnets. The part about the Webserver I'm not sure. Are you setting up some kind of ACL or something to secure it?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    subnets --split up a network into smaller parts. For example, take an RFC 1918 Class C and make it into small manageable parts.

192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.14 /28 Let's make this Engineering

192.168.1.17 - 192.168.1.30 /28 This one will be the HR department

192.168.1 33 - 192.168.1.46 /28 Production

192.168.1.49 Put your webserver here. Add static routes from the previous three subnets and point them here

The above is just a small example, I'm sure somebody around here will trump it with something else
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    Description I was given is:

the company has two seperate work area served by two cisco switches

one of the switches connects directly to a cisco router, the other switch is in an different work area and connected to the first. the router has a serial connection to another cisco router in the server room which connects directly to the companys single web server and also to thir main router via a serial connection. The connection to the public Internet is via a virtual circuit provided by the organisation own flexible wan technology so private ip addressing can be used throughout the island network. The routing protocol in use is a distance-vector one.

if this helps
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    So, have you asked your instructor for clarification?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I will get more instructions in the exam but I am trying to prepare before it. I have ACLs sorted and some security by disabling telnet but not too sure what might be involved with the web server and the subnetworks
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If this is an early class you might just need to ensure the network is routing correctly to allow the PC to reach it. If you are a little more advanced I would guess you are going to need to set up some sort of access list or possibly vlans. If your configuring from scratch you might need to set up the ip addressing on the server. None of my classes had to configure any of the servers but I played with the settings anyway to see what was available. As to subnetting. They probably want to make sure you understand how to split an ip range into classless subnets. I would guess they give you some starting point in the exam.

I know this does not give any new info but maybe it helps you think about the problem in a a different way.

Good Luck