Options

CCNP Switches topology hardware

techiietechiie Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm getting ready to start working on my ccnp switch. I have 2x 3750-24ts-s, 1x 3550 emi 24pwr, 2x 2950s. I want to get a good grip on QOS as well and I know the 2950s and 3550 don't support all of the features. I could get 2x 2960-ttl for a good price but I know they can't go layer 3 which turns me off to them but QOS fully works. I can get another 3550 for a few bucks for layer 3 functions but it doesn't have all of the QOS features. I would get 2 more 3750s but I can't get a deal as good as I bought the two.

Not sure which hardware I should invest in. What would you guys recommend I do?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What you have now is more than enough.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    QoS is a very small part of the exam. It's 4-5 commands and a few pages of theory, and that's about it.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Wow you've got awesome switches. Certainly more than enough.

If you've got CCIE in mind then I wouldn't spend too much time getting hung up on Catalyst QoS coz it's not on the newest CCIE syllabus.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Two 3750s and two 2950s are more than enough. You can do pretty much everything on those 3750s - VRRP, HSRP, PVLANs, etc. Most topologies I see for practicing and labbbing the CCNP Switch exam involve just four switches - 2x L3 switches and 2x L2 switches.

You're good to go :)
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply is the CCNP SWITCH Lab manual sufficient for labbing?
  • Options
  • Options
    late_collisionlate_collision Member Posts: 146
    It's a great start but I wouldn't consider it a comprehensive study guide for the exam.
  • Options
    What would be a good source to do labs?
  • Options
    late_collisionlate_collision Member Posts: 146
    You're not going to find a complete solution.

I've used the Cisco Lab Manual as well as the labs in the back of the SWITCH Simplified book. However, the best labs you can do, are to design your own as you follow along with the book.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I loved the 101 CCNP Labs from the same guys who did the CCNP Simplified series. Those exams are pretty hardcore and WAY above the CCNP exam.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    darkplayerdarkplayer Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You're not going to find a complete solution.

I've used the Cisco Lab Manual as well as the labs in the back of the SWITCH Simplified book. However, the best labs you can do, are to design your own as you follow along with the book.

I agree, I've used various lab manuals from different authors. What you do have is more than enough for CCNP Switch exam and you can incorporate what you have over to CCIE. I'm looking around to see what I need to add on to what I already have.