PMP or ITIL?

Nishant_78Nishant_78 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
I have 10+ years of IT experience spanning across following tracks:
  1. Software Configuration Management
  2. Software Testing
  3. Software Engineering Process Conceptualization
  4. Software Quality Assurance
What is more benefitial for me: PMP or ITIL; to give my career a good jump as well as better opportunities?

Thanks,
Nishant

Comments

• Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PMP by a mile.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    PMP by a mile.

PMP requirements are a lot more demanding and involved than ITIL, and has more traction.

[h=3]PMP Eligibility Overview[/h]To apply for the PMP, you need to have either:
    • A secondary degree (high school diploma, associate’s degree, or the global equivalent) with at least five years of project management experience, with 7,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.

OR
    • A four-year degree (bachelor’s degree or the global equivalent) and at least three years of project management experience, with 4,500 hours leading and directing projects and 35 hours of project management education.
    This is an overview of the requirements. For complete details regarding the PMP eligibility requirements, please view the PMP Handbook for further details.
    If you do not meet the PMP eligibility requirements, you may want to look at the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® certification.
  • Options
    GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
    Do you also want to be a PIMP in the near future? PMP is better suited.

Just in case, Player In Management Profession (PIMP) :P :D
  • Options
    jthunderbirdjthunderbird Banned Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ITIL first because you can have that knocked out in like 3 days and its a cheap test.

PMP is something you kind of have to work towards. Maybe consider the CAPM first.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CBAP or CCBA from IIBA. ASQ has a quality certification that is highly regarded as well. ITIL more geared toward service management and the PMP is a very old school style of project management that I personally feel is only good for large projects. Building bridges or going to the Moon. You may also want to check into CSM or PMI - ACP.
  • Options
    GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
    ITIL first because you can have that knocked out in like 3 days and its a cheap test.

PMP is something you kind of have to work towards. Maybe consider the CAPM first.

I just looked up ITIL foundation exam cost from APMG, $600 for non APMP members. That's not cheap and way over-price, imo.
  • Options
    jthunderbirdjthunderbird Banned Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took my ITIL v3 Foundations test about 2 years back and it was $150 and you needed 26 out of 40 questions to pass... easiest and cheapest test I have taken... maybe things have changed in that 2 year span.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agree with JT V3 was easy, the only other test that I felt was easier was Security +. With that said I hate easy exams, they pollute your resume with resume fodder. I'd rather have 1 or 2 difficult certifications than a crap ton of easy or mid level ones.
  • Options
    Nishant_78Nishant_78 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to all of you for your prompt reply.:)