Options

Passed 70-410 R2 today

KeatsKeats Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
750/1000, but considering I couldn't sleep and was up at 5am, had to travel 2h to the test center and killed a few cells by partying the weekend before, I can't complain.

Studied for 35 days, using Training Guide Installing And Configuring Windows Server 2012 (Mitch Tulloch), Installing And Configuring Windows Server 2012 Exam Ref 70-410 R2 (Craig Zacker) and CBT Nuggets with R2 updates (James Conrad).

Of those 3 I would not recommend Training guide as I found it boring and tedious to read and it gave me almost no relevant exam related answers, though it contains the lab exercises that are more or less OK. On the other hand Exam Ref was almost a **** sheet for some exam questions, a much better source of info. CBT was absolute gold and would recommend to everyone, though it focuses more on actual RL situations and the exam on the other hand had questions about which tab or container contains this or that. I'd advise you memorize your menus :P

There was almost no R2 related questions on the exam, only 1, gen2 VM related.

On to 70-411 next.

Oh, yeah... Prometric is an absolute **** company which enforces ridicoulus exam rules. They didn't let me have a power bar with me, or even a mini bottle of water. They even took away my chewing gum and a tissue so I spent an hour with a runny nose! This is my 5th exam and never have such strict rules been applied before. On their page they even mention rolling down sleeves and pants and turning out pockets and going through a metal detector. Jeez, have there been any test center suicide bombings lately of what?

Comments

• Options
    The_wisdomThe_wisdom Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats
    How many questions were in the exam
    i'm sooner will take the exam
  • Options
    MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass.

I personally liked the Training Guide as a source of labbing material but certainly the Exam Ref was far better at just relating material needed for the test. For me the labbing helped cement that in.

LOL - My Prometric uses a metal detecting wand. Pretty standard that you can't bring anything in with you though honestly - some people would find a way to write notes inside a food wrapper and reseal it. At the main location I use for testing, it isn't quite as harsh. I just have to empty pockets. I can't bring anything in with me but they have provided me with some of their tissues to use before. They also don't have cameras watch over me every second. The person just sits in the hall directly outside the room that I am testing in. The door is open and she can clearly see what I am doing should I pull something out of my clothes or something.

Prometric tests for a large number of institutions. I imagine that some are more strict than others. They likely just use the strictest set of standards for everyone because it is far easier then remembering which exam requires what.

Good luck on the next test. Check your area you may have other alternatives to Prometric Exam testing sites in your area. Many colleges also do the testing.
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    craig zacher training guide is lot better than mitch tulloch...
  • Options
    There were 54 questions on the exam. A lot of Powershell and a lot of questions that require you to really understand the material by examining exhibits for clues. Some are pretty tricky to spot. Configuring core network services was my lowest area, all other were about 70-80%.

Sadly only 2 cities in my country have the exam centers, one 110km away, one 400km :)

Ok, I understand they conficscate the writable stuff but please give us a water cooler in the classroom :P The classroom also had the hostess inside and she roamed around looking what you're doing.
  • Options
    CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    Congrats on the pass! Do you have much prior experience? And what was your study schedule like?

Thanks
    2014 goals: ICND2[]

• Options
    MCSA on W2K since 2004. Currently unemployed, hoping to at least get some interviews with MCSA on 2012.

Nothing special, studied 3-4 hours a day. A few videos then read about those areas in the books to strengthen. Lab in the evening. Taking it easy. Had a 2nd shot voucher so went to see the questions and was surprised to see I passed. They are now a lot harder than I remember them to be on W2K and a few of them were outside of the scope of studying material I had.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    sbhawksbhawk Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, you really give me a lot of confidence on the exam. Not sayin that I would get hammered the weekend before ;)

I have all 3 of those materials. Got 1 chapter into the Training Guide and it's boring as hell. I might trash it and focus on my new Mastering Windows Server 2012 R2 and CBT Nuggets R2 Update videos. I feel like this plus labs is good enough. I use Server 2008 day in day out at my current job.
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    ben911tben911t Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed the 70-410 today now on the next exam icon_study.gif . The CBT nuggets were great but not enough depth, nevertheless great information.
  • Options
    PleharPlehar Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats, keep it going.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
  • Options
    davidoffdavidoff Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi, did you first finished the videos of cbt nuggets? then after that read the two books? what is your style of reviewing? or did you read and watch simultaneously? I also want to pursue this 70-410, so please I need to know from someone that already passed the exam.

Thanks and God Bless you
  • Options
    mfree77mfree77 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!! How many questions are on the exam? I guess its time for me to look into CBT nuggets.
  • Options
    alsonalson Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, Good Job..

Was the technet.microsoft.com one of the resources you used in your study?? or you read only those two books and the CBT Nuggets?

Thank you in advance for your feedback..
  • Options
    alsonalson Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does any one know if the technet site has changed? I'm not able any more to find the rest of the links that i used to open to study from, I used to access https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-us/mcsa-windows-server-certification.aspx and then click on 410 under Optional Training.

Something happened and i'm unable to view the reset of the studying links, now the page takes me to something else.

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    macboy81macboy81 Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass i hope i can be posting my pass mark here in 2014 :)
  • Options
    miksmiks Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□