Options

Having to retake Sec+

TheJohnQTheJohnQ Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Took/passed Sec+ in 2010, but was never told or received anything in regards to the Continuing Education part. Got a new job a few months ago with the DoD and now I can't sign up for CE so the DoD doesn't acknowledge my (still) active Sec+ because of the fact that I didn't sign up for CE. Just curious if anyone has any insight on how much the test could have changed since then?

I know they have added a few SIM questions now, but how different is everything else?

Just got my CEH cert last week, so I am fairly confident about the test, but just wanted to be prepared.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

as a quick refresher, Darill has a SY0-301 app for Android/Apple markets for $9.99 if you want to snag it and give it a spin. it's got great coverage.
  • Options
    Awesome. I'll take a look, thanks.
  • Options
    hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    I work for DoD as well. I just took my Security+ a couple of weeks ago. It's not a hard test. There's only one simulation that was tricky. The rest were easy. You've got this.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
  • Options
    nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TheJohnQ wrote: »
    Took/passed Sec+ in 2010, but was never told or received anything in regards to the Continuing Education part. Got a new job a few months ago with the DoD and now I can't sign up for CE so the DoD doesn't acknowledge my (still) active Sec+ because of the fact that I didn't sign up for CE. Just curious if anyone has any insight on how much the test could have changed since then?

I know they have added a few SIM questions now, but how different is everything else?

Just got my CEH cert last week, so I am fairly confident about the test, but just wanted to be prepared.

Thanks.

Hope this helps...
    CompTIA Continuing Education Program

[h=1]Continuing Education Program[/h]

[h=3]CompTIA announces change to Continuing Education Program[/h] CompTIA is making a significant change to its Continuing Education program. Effective 1/1/2014, we have eliminated the cap placed on how many CEUs may be entered for a Training Activity.
    This means that any individual de-certified because their renewal would have been achieved by the CEUs submitted exceeding the Training Activity cap will now have their certification reinstated. This change also applies to those certified professionals actively working on the renewal of their certification.
    We are currently working on the logistics to facilitate this change, which requires updating software and performing system testing. The current estimate is that this will be completed by March 15th. This change will happen automatically and require no action by the certified professional.
    [h=3]Continuing Education Deadlines Approaching[/h] For certified professionals who were certified or manually enrolled in CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+ or CASP in 2011, you need to meet the requirements of the Continuing Education Program this year in order to remain certified. These certifications are valid for three years after the date you became certified. Find out what you can do to stay certified.
    [h=3]Continuing Education Program Information[/h] As technology continues to evolve, it is important for IT professionals to show employers that their skills, knowledge and credentials are current with industry developments. You can do this through the CompTIA Continuing Education Program.
    The following certifications are valid for three years from the date of certification. If you do not renew your certification within three years, you will no longer be certified and must retake the exam to reactivate your certification.

[TH]Certification[/TH]
    [TH]CEUs required for renewal[/TH]

CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner

CompTIA Cloud+

CompTIA Storage+

CompTIA Security+

CompTIA Mobility+

CompTIA Network+

CompTIA A+

[h=3]Renewing Your Certification[/h] You can renew your certification by earning continuing education units (CEUs). There are several ways to earn CEUs:
    • Achieve a higher-level certification
    • Complete activities to show new learning, such as attending training courses, participating in industry events, and applying relevant work experience or college courses.
    • Take a newer version of the certification exam
    [h=3]Program Requirements[/h] Successful completion of the CE Program requires that all the following terms are met on or before the CE Program expiration date.
    • Sign the Continuing Education Program Code of Ethics Policy annually
    • Pay the three-year CE maintenance fees associated with the highest-level certification you intend to renew.
    • Upload all Continuing Education Unit requirements associated with the highest-level certification you intend to renew.
    These requirements can be completed through your certification account.
    Audits of CE program involvement occur on a random basis. CompTIA is unable to guarantee your record will be audited.
    [h=3]"Good for Life" Continuing Education Candidates
    Important Notice “Good For Life” Candidates Enrolled in the Continuing Education (CE) Program[/h] “Good for Life” (GFL) candidates have three years from the date they enroll in the CE program to; accept the Code of Ethics, complete the appropriate level of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and pay in full the 3 year CE maintenance fees. Once the requirements are met candidates earn their ‘ce’ designation. At this time they begin a new cycle that expires 3 years from that date.
    It is important "Good for Life" candidates know that by completing the CE requirements 'early’ (before the end of the 3 year Enrollment period) that the cycle does not extend 3 years from the original expiration date. The cycle extends 3 years from the date the 'ce' designation is earned.
    Example: If a “Good for Life” candidate enrolled on 2/1/12, their CE enrollment period expiration date will be 2/1/15.
    If the candidate completes the final CE requirement on 8/25/13 prior to their expiration date, their new CE cycle dates would be 8/25/13 - 8/25/16.
    Participation in the CE program does not affect a candidate’s “certified for life” status, the good for life certification will always remain in effect, regardless of CE program participation.
    [h=3]Renewing Multiple Certifications[/h] Some higher-level CompTIA certifications will automatically renew lower-level certifications (shown in their respective order, highest-level to lowest-level, below.) CompTIA Mobility+ and CompTIA Cloud+ do not automatically renew other certifications.
    • CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner
    • CompTIA Storage+
    • CompTIA Security+
    • CompTIA Network+
    • CompTIA A+
    If you plan on taking a higher-level CompTIA certification to fulfill your renewal requirements, no CE maintenance fees are required.
  • Options
    Thanks.

I know all about the CE program now, I just didn't know about it in time to enroll before it was too late. Now I have to recertify and was just curious how it has changed from 201 to 301.
  • Options
    How frowned upon are test **** here? Had a question about one, but not worth asking if they are frowned upon.
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I doubt there are any real "test ****" out there. Who is going to remember 75 questions and write them down. Who knows how many are in their pool when you take a test. Could be hundreds or thousands, who knows.

Mostly people want to know what test questions could reasonably look like to guide their study. In a few books the questions are a lot more challenging than on the actual test and some are far from actual so it can be a little disconcerting.

In the end, you want to test your knowledge and not just test your ability to remember questions and answers even if they could be real. You don't know what will be on the real exam!

Use various quizzes and tests to gauge your knowledge. Simply studying the questions and answers can be a trap if you don't study the material. It can help to review various books and QA to get a sense of variety of questions and style of questions.
    TheJohnQ wrote: »
    How frowned upon are test **** here? Had a question about one, but not worth asking if they are frowned upon.
  • Options
    It's a lot more possible than you think. We had one for the CEH exam that I passed a couple of weeks ago. There are 125 questions on the test and the test **** that I had was 877 questions. Every single question that I had on my test was in that test ****. Answers were in the same order and everything. The only reason I want to use one is to bust this out quickly. I'm being pressured to get it very quickly because we are having audits in early June. There is a Security + test **** on the same site that I used for CEH, was just curious if the questions were what others saw on the test.

I'd like to think so due to the experience I had with CEH and all.
  • Options
    ManufacturingTechManufacturingTech Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□