Options

GNS3/Packet Tracer

AeternaAeterna Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I'm looking to start studying for the CCENT -> CCNA. I've always been a fan of doing things hands-on, but cash is tight at the moment. Is it totally feasible to just use GNS3 & packet tracer, or will I have a hard time learning without the hardware?

Not to mention I'm a bit intimidated by all the equipment it seem I will need to buy!

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For ccent and ccna you do not need equipment.

It helps support the learning process if you are not familiar with the equipment but everything can be done in packet tracer. I also think if you are just starting out that you will pick it up quicker in packet tracer because it is faster to set up scenarios and you can watch the packets move in simulation mode.

Good Luck
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    For ccent and ccna you do not need equipment.

It helps support the learning process if you are not familiar with the equipment but everything can be done in packet tracer. I also think if you are just starting out that you will pick it up quicker in packet tracer because it is faster to set up scenarios and you can watch the packets move in simulation mode.

Good Luck

Well, I disagree. When you can, getting a couple of switches and routers is a good idea. You wanna be able to build CAT cables

A few years ago, I was spending several hundred on switches and routers--now they're dime a dozen. Besides building cables, PT doesnt support all CLI commands==most notably the log switch on access control lists- and that puppy is a Cisco objective

Just my 2c
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    can you name any that it doesn't support? so far i am almost completing my ccent and have found all the commands I need
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    can you name any that it doesn't support? so far i am almost completing my ccent and have found all the commands I need

There is a banner (don't remember which off-hand) that isn't in PT and the 3560 is missing or has limited support for some Layer 3 protocols fully supported by the real thing. It also frequently doesn't support all the options for a command. Sometimes, PT will also simply act a bit weird. Once you get past the CCNA level, there are alot of missing commands - Layer 3 Etherchannel, iBGP, etc...
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PT also doesn't have the pipe "|" command, which is good for perusing your "show run" page.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    If you want to use Software go for IOU, if you want to use virtualization go for GNS3, but the best are online racks.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The log switch for ACLs which is super important.

For troubleshooting, most of the sh ip dhcp commands are gone. There is only bindings
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep in mind the question was framed as being tight on money and wanting to know if you could study for the exam without real gear.
    It can absolutely be done. I prefer real gear but it is not a requirement at this level.

I find the missing debug commends to be the biggest disappointment with packet tracer.