Options

Asking for a raise?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    He tells me not to be selfish and train the other employess because he is paying me good money and then hung up the phone.

Just make sure that you stay professional even though he isn't. (which goes for the choice of language in some removed replies here as well...), but unless writing procedures is part of your current job and pay, I suggest keeping it basic and simple. Leaving some documentation and procedures when you leave is quite normal, even if the next guy would have been a senior network engineer. And it can be a good addition on your resume.

I see Keatron already answered how to best deal with this:
    Even offer to help train the new guys on your way out. Might as well even offer to do consulting work for him after you leave (cause it sounds like he'll need it). Be nice,

I hope that new job works out soon!
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going to have disagree with being professional about this.

To be quite honest being professional is not going to help this situation and he is counting on you to train these other people to take YOUR job. Think about that for a minute!

He is not treating you professionally one little bit!! If he has a problem with you he should speak to you about it, but he hasn't. And if thats not unprofessional then I don't know what is.

I would hold off on training these guys pending a pay increase. That is totally professional and an honest thing to do. If he doesn't pay up then he is left with no one. You have to remember you are on top in this situation, not him.

Seriously - NO RAISE NO TRAINING!!!
  • Options
    However, DO NOT ever mention that you read his e-mail!! That will get you no where except in trouble.
  • Options
    milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    strauchr wrote:
    I'm going to have disagree with being professional about this.

He is not treating you professionally one little bit!! If he has a problem with you he should speak to you about it, but he hasn't. And if thats not unprofessional then I don't know what is.

I would hold off on training these guys pending a pay increase. That is totally professional and an honest thing to do. If he doesn't pay up then he is left with no one. You have to remember you are on top in this situation, not him.

Seriously - NO RAISE NO TRAINING!!!

You will always run into asshats in what ever line of work you do. You can'y be an asshat just becasue they are. I also don't get why you feel it is not his job to train his replacements?

In my opinion withholding information that would benifit the company with job security as the only motive is grounds for termination alone. I know people that do this and it is a huge pet peeve of mine. They put everyone on a need to know basis for something with job security as their motivation, then when that something breaks and you call them at 10 PM to do something about it they want to complain.

He does not get paid much, but he is making more than the people his boss is asking him to train. He is the senior tech on staff, with that comes the responsibility to guide those underneath him.

We also have to consider that we are only getting half the story. I don't really think his boss is just trying to cut costs because he makes ~25 cents an hour more than the people replacing him. He probably either mesed up or his boss just doesn't like him.

If he is in a situation where he is the only person who knows how to run things, he is doing the job for 1/2 of what most people would demand for it, and the boss is still trying to get rid of him it is probably not without reason.

Maybe he angered a client and that client requested his termination? Who is the guy his boss emailed and why is the boss keeping him in the loop?

Sure he is underpaid, but I don't think we should all be yelling "BURN IT DOWN ON THE WAY OUT!!!1one" without having the other half of the story.
  • Options
    Clearly, he doesn't know what he has does wrong as his boss hasn't explained to him what he has done wrong (unprofessional)

Maybe he is missing some of the storey out but it doesn't sound like it.

I too dislike people who withold information simply for job security but this is a different circumstance. He was promised a payrise and being stuffed around, why should he do the right thing and help his boss out.

It is a 2 way street and employees should not be a on a put up and shut up basis. In the end an employee is making the employer money. Just because you get a paycheck from them doesn't mean they own you.

He has every right to leave and not train anyone else if he feels he is being mistreated. That is a RIGHT every employee has.

I wonder how you would feel in his position.

BTW: This situation is close to me since it has happened to me and I did the right thing and got totally shafted thinking if I did the right thing my boss would do the right thing by me - how wrong was I. I felt like a cheap used xxxxx! Believe me this stuff happens.
  • Options
    netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    Well here is an update on how my situation has been going. I have not been training the other techs although my boss still wants me to. I have asked for a raise again but have yet to receive a response, one major problem that I am having now is that my boss has reduced my hours to almost part time. This whole week he is sending me home around 1 - 2 after I finish all of the office and field request orders, he still keeps the other techs in the office? I am still trying to get another job now because I really cant make it on part-time. I am also studying hard for my CCNP exams because I know that they can really help me out on my job search
  • Options
    Hang in there mate. Stick to your guns. Try and reason with him one more time and if not then just look hard for another job.

You'll get there soon and you will have learnt from this experience.
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    netteaser, not to be hard on you or anything, but I think your boss has put you on the fast track to the exit door.

If you see the signs, don't wait until someone delivers the bad news. Go while the going is good.

I've quit 2 jobs in my working career; and I actually got a farewell party on my way out each time icon_lol.gif . Everybody looked bad about my leaving them and everything, but any person with brains could see that all the brouhaha was only professional lip-service.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options
    Well I would quit but the only thing that is holding me back is that I dont have another job right now to go to. I am still applying anywhere right now I am not going to be picky on what position I get. The only thing I can continue doing is working here and wait for someone else to give me a chance?? And the part that drives me insane is the waiting part....
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    IMO,

The thing NOT to do is threaten him with quitting like one or two advocate here. NO ONE is irreplaceable, no matter how big one's ego or opinion of themself might be. There are plenty of people out there who can fill your shoes even though you might feel you're the best thing that ever happened to the company (not saying you feel that way, just trying to make a point). I caution you not to take the advice of the one(s) here who told you to threaten him with quitting. You might find yourself out in the street before you can finish the "q" in quit. Do not burn any bridges, trust me on this.

To the one(s) who advocate him threatening his boss with quitting:
    That is extremely stupid and irresponsible advice.
    It's quite obvious that his boss could care less if he quit or not; he's already cutting his hours (possibly because he refused to train the others). Like 2lbs stated previously, his boss has put him on the fast track to the exit door.

The thing to do in a situation like this is do everything you are asked to do, MEANWHILE look for a better job. Once you have found that job (and you will find it), THEN tell him you are leaving. You might have to put up with a bunch of crap, but at least you are gaining experience you can use in your resume in the meantime.
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Listen to the one(s) whoever he is! Quit,Quit and Quit again.
    Unless you really need the money...
    Your on your way out and i can only imagine what your reference will be like.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    He will already get no reference or a bad one anyway so whats the point of doing the 'right' thing on the way out. The hasn't even been a bridge built for him to burn the way I see it.

As replaceable as one might be so too is an employer replaceable and thats one thing the workers have to keep in mind.

If people keep putting up with crap from employers we all go back to the Egyptian age of slavery!
  • Options
    Well said Strauchr, completely my sentiment.
    Forbesi may you continue to live in fear...
  • Options
    ed_the_lad wrote:

Unless my memory is failing me, I didn't know he lived in fear. icon_wink.gif

Having manners in the work place is very, very important, ed. You just don’t heap bullshit on employers and slam the door on your way out. That's not professional conduct; and it doesn't hurt anybody except you.

On the other hand, you don't take bullshit from employers and have them slam the door shut in your face. That's belittling yourself to the size of a beetle. You'll just be stepped on.

So you need to balance between the extremes. I strongly agree with you -as I've stated before- that netteaser should leave the job. But he doesn't have to leave it with a red face and blood-shot eyes.

He shouldn't have reached the position in the first place, IMO. But now that he has, he should find an exit door that serves the purpose and drives the right message home.

2lbs.
  • Options
    ed_the_lad wrote:
    Actually, my job is very stable, so I do not fear for my job. However, I am not so conceited as to believe I am irreplacable, so wouldn't be stupid enough to threaten my employer with my resignation. Not that I haven't asked for pay increases; which I have - and have received. If I was to want another job, I would find one first before I quit my current one.

This gentleman was asking for advice and I merely stated that a couple of you were being very irresponsible in your replies...in my opinion.
  • Options
    hmmm... I do remember the dmaftei vs. forbesl show. perhaps someone has come with a disguise icon_confused.gif
  • Options
    hmmm... I do remember the dmaftei vs. forbesl show. perhaps someone has come with a disguise icon_confused.gif
    Naw....dmaftei was in a higher class and had some common sense. dmaftie and I settled our differences a while back.
  • Options
    forbesl wrote:
    Naw....dmaftei was in a higher class and had some common sense. dmaftie and I settled our differences a while back.

icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

hope you guys can manage to contain all the flames being thrown around.
  • Options
    hope you guys can manage to contain all the flames being thrown around.
    As far as I'm concerned, the fire is out. I've given my opinion and reasoning, so i'll be taking Yankee's advice from another post and declare him persona non grata in my book.
  • Options
    Does this mean i'm off your Chrismas card list ?? icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Well my situation is pretty much the same, but now I have been receiving alot of calls from companies that want me to do 1-2 week contract work for them paying me really good money. Hopefully I can find a position with the same companies if they are ever looking for full time employees. I have recently applied for 2 jobs in my area with other ISP's. One of them called me up and said that they may have a potential opening that they would consider me for it. I hope everything will go good. My current employer is still doing the same stuff, I am hoping that I can get another job quickly and get out of my current one.
  • Options
    I accepted a job offer this morning!!!! Finally, after having trouble getting a raise in my current job I got a good one today. They are starting me off at 32k and in 3 months I get moved up to 50k a year. Its a field tech job. I told my current employer that I was giving my 2 weeks notice and he told me that if I considered staying that he would consider giving me a $1 raise which would bring me up to 9.50/hr and he would also consider paying for 1/3rd of my gas travel. But that I would have to wait 3-4 months so he can think about it.

Oh well.... I got my new job and I am happy..
    For everyone who is still looking for a job just work hard in finding one and apply yourself. No matter how much trouble you might have in a job you can use that for experience and it can help you land a better job in the future.

THanks to everyone who replied to my post.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Congrats man, I bet it felt good turning down your current employer's pathetic attempt to keep you there.
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats man. I'm always glad to see these kind of posts end like this.
  • Options
    gigionegigione Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Based on these qualifications calculate the net worth

A+
    Network+
    MCP
    I-Net+
    Server+
    7 years in the IT Field
    Associate Degree in CIS
  • Options
    Well done!

And thats the way to do it for anyone who is unhappy or think they are being under appreicated!
  • Options
    jsobrinogjsobrinog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, what a post.
    My friend, im kinda on your same situation but i have two different works.
    from 8 to 4pm as network administrator, from 5 to 10pm as teacher. I have a lot of experience in techincal support and recently network+ certified. Im working on my next cert , maybe a+, but the idea is that in your case you can look somewhere else texas, in my case i live in mexico, and most of the certs are not well paid its just for knowledge. I hope a can get as many certs i can and move to canada or USA with all my papers in rule and fine.

:S hope this little story helps. by the way and as someone posted "maybe is something he doesnt like", try to play with the score, DO NOT TRAIN THE NEWBIE, I REPEAT DO NOT. Dont make life easier to your boss.

:)
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    Congrats on the new job and all that goes with it.

I just read through all the posts today, and I can't believe you stayed there all this time. It's apparent your boss is an a-hole for the simple fact of what he pays his employees. I don't care what part of the country you live in, that wage was unacceptable for someone with your qualifications. I live in Appalachia and the jobs are not good here either, but you can get a job at Wally World for about what he was paying you.

Did he even ask what the new job paid before he made his laughable $1 proposal? I'm glad you've doubled your pay out of the gate and in 3 months you'll be making more than 2.5 times what you were. Make sure he doesn't screw you out of any overtime that you have accumulated.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    Congrats, netteaser!

Glad to see you kept a level head (you're the better person because of that) in your crappy job until you found a better one.
  • Options
    Thanks again to everyone who has read my post. I am happy that I finally got this new job. I gave my boss the 2 week notice that I am going to be quitting but he was refused to pay for the 2 weeks that I was going to be working there so I just turned in all of the equipment and keys and I stopped working there as of today. This morning I was getting some calls from him but I didnt answer and I am still getting calls from customers from the company but I politely told them that I didnt work for the company anymore and they told me that my former boss told them that even though I didnt work for him anymore I owed it to the customers to still fix their computer problems????
This discussion has been closed.