Introducing myself... :)

Skynet9Skynet9 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone...I was looking for a section just dedicated to introduction but found no such thing, So decided to post here.

I am 21 pursuing bachelor degree in Computer Information System which will be completed by next year in summer. (btw..I am from NY) At the same time, I am studying to get my CCENT/CCNA before graduation.

I am also reading Cisco official guide by Odom wendell and watching videos of Jermy CBT nuggets. I am hoping to take CCENT in several months and if I pass, I would take A+/N+ by next year winter.

I currently do not have a lot of experience except working for about an year as an "Computer technician". I have good knowledge of both windows and Macs.

So by the time I graduate, I am hoping to land a decent paying job.

Comments

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't expect getting a "decent paying job" right after getting out of school. You really do need experience to get these big bucks. I'm not saying its impossible, it's just harder to get a good salary right off the bat.

Good luck in your studies and keep working hard icon_thumright.gif
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome aboard!
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Welcome and Good Luck with your studies!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the site. It has been very helpful for me over the last year to visit every day. You will find the CCNA form pretty active and if you have questions people will help you answer them as long as you show them what you have tried so far.

Good Luck
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forums!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • TybTyb Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome!!
    WGU BS:IT Security (March 2015)
    WGU MS:ISA (February 2016 )
  • hell911hell911 Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome OP.
    Don't expect getting a "decent paying job" right after getting out of school. You really do need experience to get these big bucks. I'm not saying its impossible, it's just harder to get a good salary right off the bat.

Just for general idea, how many years it took you to earn those "big bucks"? :)
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forum!

If you have CCENT, I'm not sure that you would really see a lot of benefit for your money from A+ and N+. Maybe Security+, if you are interested in security at all, but otherwise I'd say to press on and get CCNA!
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Skynet9Skynet9 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□

Thanks...I know that...IT is really competitive and in NY its even more. I will be applying for an internship in fall semester...hopefully that would give me good skills if accepted.
    Welcome to the forum!

If you have CCENT, I'm not sure that you would really see a lot of benefit for your money from A+ and N+. Maybe Security+, if you are interested in security at all, but otherwise I'd say to press on and get CCNA!

Hey...yes, I will get security+ as well. If i passed CCENT, I will wait few months to get CCNA. I won't stop there...but by next year, I hope to CCNA. The reason i wanted to take Comptia A+/N+ and even S+ because i think it would look good on resume.
    Thanks everyone for the welcome!
  • BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
  • NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome fellow NY-er! icon_cheers.gif
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Welcome to the forums!

My advice to you will be different ;) Learn Linux, become a Linux nerd, learn how to program in Python and learn Bash scripting...Pretty sure if you do that you will thank yourself later..

Enjoy the ride and have fun in college!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE