Options

Packet tracer lab mostly working but not pinging across fully

jmorris92jmorris92 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone, I've been set an example lab which contains VLANS, DHCP, OSPF, EIGRP and STP. I'd say with what I've done 90% of it works; computers can get their IP addresses through subinterfaces and, PC's in different VLANS can communicate. However, certain parts of this topology (https://www.dropbox.com/s/wepb7jrl03qkbkz/Challenge%20LAN%2002%20-%20mostly%20working.pkt) aren't working fully.

For example, Area 0 router can ping to Interlvlan router 02 as they're connected directly to each other but a PC from the left handside can only ping as far as the Area0 router. I've setup ospf areas all under 'router ospf 1', could the multiple areas be the reason why there's problems pinging across?
If anyone has the chance to have a look at my packettracer file it'd be much appreciated as I know a lot of you guys are far more experienced than me
Many thanks,
Jack

Comments

• Options
    thenappyonethenappyone Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First I would check all of your router adjacencies. And then I would look into why the inter-vlan router 2 has no way of getting to the subnets hanging off of the inter-vlan router 1. Hope this helps. I don't want to spoil the fun of figuring this out. Good Luck!!
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you understand why there are multiple EIGRP processes on the router with Inter VLAN routing going on??

Do you know if routes are being redistributed between them?

This seems a complicated lab for a CCNA exam, it might be better to take it step by step. If this is your college / university work then well we can't do it for you, if this was my university level assignment i'd be a happy person :P
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    These are practice labs for a university practical I have where I have to configure it all within a really short space of time 40/50mins and I can't even work on getting the time down because i'm spending ages working on why it's not fully working lol I've got this one to nearly 90% done I'd say, i'm not asking you guys to do my work for me. It's just I've done lots of labs and seem to be getting no where with it.
    I understand the idea of areas and AS's with regards to ospf and EIGRP and segmentation of the network and why it's a good thing. When I do sh ip route, it seems to have an idea of the networks.
    New addition: I realised that EIGRP has a lower AD than OSPF and I hadn't configured EIGRP with all the networks. The PC's can ping all the way as far as the 2nd before last router, it just can't get over that last network. I really want to know why intervlan router 02 can't reach the other vlans. The PC's on the right can ping their gateway but they can't the router after that, both ends of the routers have the network entered via eigrp and ospf so it should know about it.

Thanks people :) (PS I am pretty pleased it's my university assignment, I'm doing Computer Networks & Security at uni)
  • Options
    I'm gonna start again from fresh with just EIGRP running and hopefully this thing will work! I'll keep you updated :)icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I did not see any ospf routes in your routing table.
    It does not look like you can route between your two inter vlan routers 1 and 2
  • Options
    That's what I don't understand, i'm typing on both of the two routers. router ospf 1 > network ip area 20
    10.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
    route output is:
    D 10.0.0.0/8 is a summary, 00:01:43, Null0
    C 10.1.1.0/30 is directly connected, Serial0/0/1
    C 192.168.2.0/24 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0
    192.168.10.0/30 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    O IA 192.168.10.8 [110/128] via 10.1.1.1, 00:00:35, Serial0/0/1
    192.168.221.0/26 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    C 192.168.221.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0.221
    192.168.222.0/26 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    C 192.168.222.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0.222
    192.168.233.0/26 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    C 192.168.233.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0.233
    192.168.250.0/26 is subnetted, 1 subnets
    C 192.168.250.0 is directly connected, FastEthernet0/0.399
    This output is from show ip route on the top router of the two, I changed the IP addressing between the two routers 10.1.1.1 and 10.1.1.2 just to see.
  • Options
    you should see external ospf routes on intervlan router two.
  • Options
    Ok, well I've started from scratch again just running EIGRP. I can't seem to get to Area 0 router from pc4 - is this because of the different AS numbers? and I have to do route redistribution? #noob

Thanks
  • Options
    i wouldn't scrap the original you had a good topology going there. I had it operational in i think 5 commands. you were really close
  • Options
    I've kept the topology and everything I've just started doing the commands again and using eigrp only for now, lol I understand why you're not giving me the answers straight away I appreciate that, I've learned a lot just through trial and error - things to do and not to do etc. Just now I've started making sure there's 'no auto-summary' for every AS and lots of adjacencies have come up just by making sure i'm putting the right network in the right AS but do I need to use static routes in order for this to work? In order to be able to route between the different AS's?
  • Options
    you can use static routes. redistribution would be easier
  • Options
    Got it working! OSPF FTW! Haha. I can ping across the network completely, thanks for the much needed encouragement :)
    Haven't got EIGRP working yet.
  • Options
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good Job! Always feels good when you finally figure it out.
    Stick around this site it's great for reinforcing whatever your learning.