Options

Do you think there is interest in a book on how to move out of tech support?

obscuredobscured Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a lot of friends and ex-colleagues eager to move from a technical support role into a different and more fulfilling position like Business Analyst, Developer, QA etc. I've been helping my friends but have started to think that there is a broader appetite.

I want to find a way to help because I totally understand the urge to move to a more fulfilling career. I was in a technical support role for over 3 years but I wanted something more but I felt like i was stuck and didn't know how to get out of the rut. It wasn’t until I completely changed my mindset (the biggest obstacle) that I was able to accelerate my career. In the last 2 years I’ve earned two promotions and have recently changed the company I work for and am currently responsible for a whole software product line as a Product Manager.

Do you think people would be interested in an eBook or a course that teaches how to get into the right mindset and tactics to deploy in order to accelerate their career outside of technical support?

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think a book like that would be beneficial. I'm sure some would disagree, but there will still be others who don't know how to formulate a good career plan. This book, in my mind, could be similar to a virtual mentor.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like it!
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback stryder144. The virtual mentor concept sounds interesting. I wish I had someone mentor me while trying to plan my way out of support.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If it is mostly going to be about mindset, you could probably write a book with a more broad appeal like "how to upgrade your job" vs just getting out of 1 specific role.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    i'd be interested, maybe start a blog? There are many different paths though that one can take from starting out at as help desk though
  • Options
    This a great point. I was focused on 1 particular role but it could definitely be applicable to a wider audience. Thanks!

Note: this is in response to Danielm7
  • Options
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    i'd be interested, maybe start a blog? There are many different paths though that one can take from starting out at as help desk though

I think it's time to start a blog. I definitely hope I can help people out of the rut I was in.
  • Options
    Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think there's a niche need for people feeling stuck, so best of luck. This idea seems best in blog delivery form. A bunch of well written articles. *Maybe* an e-book but I think blog is the best format.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • Options
    Thanks for all the support here. I finally built up the courage to start a blog on the topic. I hope people find some inspiration in my story Beyond The Support Job.