Options

HP job offer

ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

One friend of mine has been offered a "Level 2 Network Engineer" position at HP Global Services center (TAC position), dealing with H3C gear (legacy 3COM gear). There is a considerable learning curve (new product lines, "quality" network problem solving, big clients...) and the individual is encouraged to take HP networking certifications: AIS, ASE, MASE,... at no cost. Standard work hours 8-5, but with great flexibility and the possibility of work from home.

He's currently a network administrator in a bank, dealing with Cisco gear. He complained that his company does not provide clear career path and growth despite he mentioned that to Management often. He used to study for his Cisco certs by himself after work and during weekends and finance them. The new salary suggested by HP is not higher than his actual wages, and is limited by the company grid. But he said that the HP opportunity allows him to work on more interesting network issues daily and understand network protocols and scenarios at a deeper level, and that would help him towards a senior technical role sooner.

He said his current work involves less technical work and a lot of office work, and that one of his career goals is to work as a network architect in 5 to 10 years.

Should I encourage him to do it? Do you guys have past experiences working with HP?
Your input is welcome :)

Comments

• Options
    YetAnotherITGuyYetAnotherITGuy Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am in the same boat as your friend and I have made my choice. I think he wants to pursue his career in a technical role.

I am jumping boats for following reasons -

1. Sizable increase in salary + hands on work experience in a larger network with diverse opportunities.
    2. A career path - I am ambitious
    3. I have a lot of hands-on experience, but cannot be motivated to complete certs. I am switching to a company that would force me to get certs. At the end of the day, certs are necessary if you aim high.

I have worked with HP Procurve switches and 3com switches. HP Procruve switches have lifetime warranty and are cheaper than Cisco gear and therefore a lucrative option for Small Medium Business. But, HP commandline is bad - not as good as Cisco. the good news is that it is not hard to switch to HP, especially if your friend has been training with Cisco. You just do not have access to Cisco proprietary protocols, but there are open standard alternatives.

As for 3COM switches, there are very few where I work and considered pretty much dead. We are replacing them with HP Procurve or Cisco gear depending on the budget.

I would personally not jump boats unless HP's offer is higher. From personal experience, I have learned that what they pay you matters.

Good luck to your friend! Hope this helps.
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    is not higher than his actual wages, and is limited by the company grid.

Despite the experince, I would say the ROI is not worth it, seeing how the company is fixated by a grid and having budget problems in even bringing someone onboard, HP could realise the previous person leave most probably they cannot promised him a career path or salary package, it seems after that person leave they are not reviewing the underlying problem, in a few years time that your friend will be lacking behind in terms of salary and career despite the experiences, the experience is a murking investment, if his company after HP is focusing on cisco product, your friend may not have the necessary skills. I am not in the network line of field so I could not comment further if the experience is a worthy ROI. And don't ever let the title fool your friend.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Personally i wouldn't want to work for HP considering how many people have lost their jobs, but thats just me
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    Personally i wouldn't want to work for HP considering how many people have lost their jobs, but thats just me

My part time job (second job) is working for a company who just dismissed HP as their services provider because the company couldn't come close to meeting SLAs. All of those contractors just lost their job.

I personally don't have any experience to offer except that.

-scott
  • Options
    The HP job is located in a city not far from where he lives, about 30mn by car. He already knows an old friend there.
    The job deals with 60% switching and 40% routing. Isn't it an opportunity to master these topics for a CCIE eventually? What I mean by that is he'll have plenty of troubleshooting scenarios and maybe different perspectives, a lot of available protocol trainings,...
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What you shoud look at its in terms of culture, culture will ruin the company career and salary aspect; and also end up giving empty promise experience.

Signs of bad culture
    1) Company try to hire cheap to push for higher profit
    2) Direct Manager responded straight to the point during interview, not that its bad, but its easier to develop a relationship with a manager that shares with you more about the company and deparment and sometimes to extra stuff not necessary for the interview. Best if the manager talks more than you or even show you around.
    3) Employees still after work after 6pm often (you could try to ask to sign the contract at 6 and see how)
    4) Not much employees going for lunch
    * Both 3 and 4 indiciates employees being squeeze out.
    The job deals with 60% switching and 40% routing. Isn't it an opportunity to master these topics for a CCIE eventually?

Not necessary, its a gamble, only after your friend gotten in then he will really know the eviroment. But given your friend experience, I would say he deserve something better, he would be better of to check glassdoor on how much an engineer earns. Take the average because good company pays really high (I can assure from personal experience) while bad company pays really low. Glassdoor also offers information on company culture.

After all, its your friend terrain and country, if jobs are hardly available, then the chances of your friend getting a dream network job will be hard. Otherwise, there is no hurry for your friend, its april and companies finiacial year has just been over, more new projects are going to sprung up around there, if your friend look hard enough I am sure he can find a better offer, giving better salary, career, and desire experience; and its not really hard in a network line. Even a slightly better salary is a better deal that a company that can't even offer a something higher than his actual wages.
  • Options
    Thank you guys for your help!