Options

(Hello) Moving up/promotions

Enigma1Enigma1 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hello :).

Having worked in I.T. for a number of years, I have noticed that many employers state on their job applications
that they have a list of required or preferred technical qualifications.

The problem I have come across is that many employers are not willing to invest in professional technical I.T.
qualifications. They are more interested in the profits they make and see their employees more as a number, a human resource to be used.

Time served and hands on experience can be invaluable and get in you in the door with some jobs. But moving up in the company can be hard because the positions above have people who have joined the company already having I.T. certifications.
And because they will not invest in your certification, they often hire people from outside who already have these qualifications to replace those that have left or moved up further. In effect they are quite happy to suit themselves and leave you in a given position, making you a cheap resource for them and not benefiting your career prospects.

I am thinking that the approach I am about to mention should work. Stay with the current company for around two years (or more as the years progress), while at the same time, pay for my own self-certification. In my case I would like to take a Microsoft MSCA leading to a MCSE. If possible get a promotion to the next level.

From there apply for a role at the same level paying more money that requires the certification I have aquired, and start the process again. In effect first stage promotion within the company and then moving sideways to another company to move up the ladder.

What are your experiences of promotion in the I.T job market and do you have any tips or advice on this? icon_study.gif
I am based in the U.K. but all feedback is greatly appreciated from people living elsewhere.

Thanks in Advance,
Enigma

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am in the UK as well and you are right, I have seen this multiple times. Companies are afraid to invest in people as they assume they are out of the door once they have a better qualification. Nowadays companies try to get people on the cheap so there is no surprise they are afraid the people leave.

Back in the day we had to sign a contract when we were sent to expensive training, that we will have to pay portion of it back when we leave within the next three years. Why this is not being done anymore, I don't know.

For years and years, the only way for me to get more money, is leaving and change companies. I am not saying "promoted" because I don't think there is such a thing. Jobtitles are meaningless.

10010445_10203656640086689_8528767188280491982_o.jpg
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I had notice this back 3 years ago, back then I do not have any certifications nor good experience. My advise to you is to take on the self study route. If your on public transport, take the time home reading books while on the bus or trains helps a lot. If your driving then spend the time driving listening to lectures or podcast. While your wife is bathing and taking her time in the toilet, spend some quick time to read. Aim to read about 15 mins before going to sleep also helps. I always carry a book with me, if my gf went to the toilet or there is spare time, I will read. Soon, knowledge comes along with certifications and I got the career path and job I like to work on. When you get on the really good company, those are the company that will offer to send you to courses!
  • Options
    CerebroCerebro Member Posts: 108
    I echo what people have said. The way to get noticed is to study off your own back. People will either respect you or be intimidated by your drive and passion. The later is likely to result in people trying to dumb down your achievements. However you will find a good company that will see you as an asset and reward you as such.
    2014 goals: ICND2[]