Options

Making time for interviews?

JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
How do you guys make time when searching for other jobs? Most people work between 7-6 and your co-workers/bosses seem to make a fuss when you ask for time off. This is even when the office is otherwise fully manned.

Most companies want you to come in that same week and I'd look like a fool asking my boss for time off in that short of time frame.

Comments

• Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    If close to current work I try to do it over lunch.

If they want interviews at end of day I've asked my boss if I can come in early another day I need to leave early to take care of some family matters (never specific and never been asked)

At the beginning of the day I have a doctors appointment and offer to make up the time.

Usually by offering to make up the time they don't seem to mind.
  • Options
    JohnjonesJohnjones Member Posts: 105 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    If close to current work I try to do it over lunch.

If they want interviews at end of day I've asked my boss if I can come in early another day I need to leave early to take care of some family matters (never specific and never been asked)

At the beginning of the day I have a doctors appointment and offer to make up the time.

Usually by offering to make up the time they don't seem to mind.

My boss is a ****. He'll make up some crap about leaving early. In the morning doctor's appointment....I'll get hit with "you just now found out about this" or something along those lines. Also, if you have more than one interview is when it gets challenging.

My issue is I'm working in a call center with people new to IT. Meanwhile, I've got over six years experience and certs like VCP, CCNA, MCSA, etc and still can't find a job. So I took on this just to pay the bills.
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    My suggestion is to start by applying work on fridays and mondays, then on the next week you can arrange the interview and apply leave on the last working day of next week and give a reason have family matters to attend to. Subsequent interview that come in later can be arrange together on the same day as other interviews.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    i'm lucky enough to have thursday/fridays off so i could do an interview then i usually tell them. i'm also off at 4, so if it's a phone interview, 4:30 can also work with most company's
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Johnjones wrote: »
    My boss is a ****. He'll make up some crap about leaving early. In the morning doctor's appointment....I'll get hit with "you just now found out about this" or something along those lines. Also, if you have more than one interview is when it gets challenging.

My issue is I'm working in a call center with people new to IT. Meanwhile, I've got over six years experience and certs like VCP, CCNA, MCSA, etc and still can't find a job. So I took on this just to pay the bills.

I understand that. My current job is to just pay the bills. Just keep looking icon_smile.gif easier to look when you have work then when you don't.

(sorry to hear your boss is a wank)
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Just tell them you need to leave early for an urgent appointment. If they ask what kind of appointment, just tell them it's a personal matter.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    YetAnotherITGuyYetAnotherITGuy Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When you work for people who are looking over your shoulder, you have to get around them. Schedule interviews in the morning. Call in sick. One never knows when you can have dysentery or food poisoning.

If you need to leave early from work, give them a heads up that you need to leave early to tend to personal matters. If they try to ask you for details, firmly tell them that it is personal.
  • Options
    Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been lucky the company I work for is very easy when I need to leave early or take a longer than usual lunch.