Options

wgu BS-IT-S questioon

2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm planning to pursue a BS-IT S in wgu. For The past 8 years I have been working as a field tech and now I work as an IT analyst. My question is should I just jump and sign up or get couple certs so I can finish faster. I have some class from a community college. Please advise me.

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Unless you need a cert to get accepted into the program, I'd just jump right into it since they will pay for the certs. Less money out of your pocket.
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    If you think you can pass the certs already I would just jump into WGU. It would be some ez CUs and you could accelerator your degree
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    ok i will do that then jump on and sign up. how does exams work with WGU? so lets say in my first semester "term" and i take the A+ exam and pass. will i still be able to get rid of some of the CU needed?
  • Options
    Basically, they issue you the voucher, you pass, you get credit for that class plus a certification, and continue on.
  • Options
    so Net+ will only cover 1 class?
  • Options
    Antonio72Antonio72 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I transferred in the A+ and was able to clear 3 classes, IT Fundamentals II and III, as well as Network Fundamentals. If you only transfer in the Net+, you should be able to get Network Fundamentals and Network I cleared. Though you would have to go through the enrollment process to be sure.

In order to start right away you need 2 of 3 things; at least 3 years of tech experience, tech certifications, and previous college experience. If you only have the experience you might have to take a few classes through one of their sister colleges that offer classes even cheaper than WGU, and it's just a few of the general classes before you can get it transferred over to WGU.

Personally, I would try to get into WGU asap. With your experience you should be able to breeze through some of the classes without much effort. The best part about WGU is that if you already know the material then you don't have to waste time relearning it. Just take the pre-assessment and if you pass, schedule the exam, pass it and move on.
  • Options
    Antonio72 wrote: »
    I transferred in the A+ and was able to clear 3 classes, IT Fundamentals II and III, as well as Network Fundamentals. If you only transfer in the Net+, you should be able to get Network Fundamentals and Network I cleared. Though you would have to go through the enrollment process to be sure.

In order to start right away you need 2 of 3 things; at least 3 years of tech experience, tech certifications, and previous college experience. If you only have the experience you might have to take a few classes through one of their sister colleges that offer classes even cheaper than WGU, and it's just a few of the general classes before you can get it transferred over to WGU.

Personally, I would try to get into WGU asap. With your experience you should be able to breeze through some of the classes without much effort. The best part about WGU is that if you already know the material then you don't have to waste time relearning it. Just take the pre-assessment and if you pass, schedule the exam, pass it and move on.

I believe you just need one of the three. I had an associate's degree, no certs, and they didn't ask about any of my experience (which wasn't much when I first started talking to them).
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    You need some technical work experience, or college experience IN IT. A friend of mine has a bachelor's in communications and has been working on the sales side of IT for a few years and they denied him. He had to get a cert before they'd enroll him.
  • Options
    zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    22306 wrote: »
    so Net+ will only cover 1 class?

Net+ will cover at least two in most tracks. It depends on if your track has Network Fundamentals in addition to Networks I. It covers both of those.

One thing I might consider if I were you is to use straighterline.com to finish your Gen Ed courses. They are very inexpensive and from what I've seen, comparable in difficulty to the WGU courses. This lets you only worry about tech study once you start.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • Options
    Antonio72Antonio72 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    I believe you just need one of the three. I had an associate's degree, no certs, and they didn't ask about any of my experience (which wasn't much when I first started talking to them).

Really? I barely made it through the enrollment process without having to take additional classes before being allowed to attend. And I have 4 years technical experience, a year of schooling and the A+. Though the school I attended wasn't the best so I guess that's why they were thinking I would need to attend the other school first. Thankfully it worked out and I was able to start. I'm glad they didn't give you the run-around.
  • Options
    im familiar with straighterline.com. i just looked at the classes i will need to take..math,bio,physics..yeah will deff have to use straighterline!
  • Options
    just signed up for straighterline and now doing the math