New Job Offer

Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm taking a job as a Network Admin with an MSP. Its scary since my only experience is labs with school and at home. I'll be training with the most senior guy for the first month or so to catch me up to speed on how their operation works, and expose to me a live environment. I was previously a help desk jockey, and didn't get a lot of hands on experience with the network side of things. I guess everyone here was right, apply and apply even if you don't think you qualify. I certainly only hit like 2-3 bullet points out of the 7-9 they had posted. My attitude, work history, and references really helped me out.

Just wanted to thank you guys, because where I started two years ago, till now I have grew a lot in terms of knowledge and motivation.

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome news! Congrats!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • hellolinhellolin Member Posts: 107
    I just finished my first IT intern at a small MSP, great place to get your feet wet, but as a mid-senior guy you really have to be kind of know-it-all, because they really do everything. If you like to learn to will sure have a lot to learn!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on new job!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Congratulations on the move. I made a similar move from Helpdesk to Networking. It was extremely difficult at first, but just keep striving, and you will get the hang of it.
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! Sounds like a perfect training and growth opportunity.
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    That's exactly how I started, only real experience was labbing for CCNA, and trained with a guy who was departing to a network engineer position, and holy cow was that an uphill battle.

I was very, very nervous about the move, but I have gotten an absolutely massive amount of experience from it in the last 5 months.

Good luck, and no matter what happens, keep pushing through the day and showing back up for work the next morning!
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the new job! It's really reassuring to know companies are willing to take you under their wing even if you don't meet 100% of the silly job listings. Best of luck soaking up all that new knowledge.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Congrats!

It is scary but as you learn it and do it your confidence will grow so quickly it wont be a second guess after that.
    It is great to see people succeed :) Also your success is a good story showing just like you said. Even if you dont match all the requirements you can still apply and still get hired. Best luck to you!
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So its been exactly 30 days since I started with this company. It is no joke, I have had my hands on more switches and routers than I have had in my entire life. I am learning so much with OTJ training than I have with reading and labs. I really do enjoy it, and its pushing me to further my knowledge and understanding than ever before.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Great update @Rosco2382! Keep up the good work icon_cheers.gif
  • Rosco2382Rosco2382 Member Posts: 205 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I thought I would stop by and give another update. I started the job 5/12/14 as of Monday I was promoted to manager and given a 14k raise to boot! I was not aware that I was even in consideration for the position but when they made the announcement I was pleasantly surprised.
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's great news!! Congrats!
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats on the promotion. Hope things continue to work out for you.
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    That's amazing, congrats!! Also thanks for the update, always great to hear good things.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wow! Amazing! Congrats!
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me